Pointless family photo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love how traditional they are until you look at the bit of neon shoe sticking out from one of their burkas.

The ironic part is that we have a few women in our corporation that in their badge pictures, which are for security purposes, are fully clad in their burkas. All you can see is there eyes. And HR claims it is fully within the rules to do as such.

I just cant imagine wearing that all the time...

I should start wearing a burkha. I feel so violated when all the women at work ogle me. I know I'm dead sexy, but come on!

:D

desiderata said:
And that's probably what they say when they see this:
You had to bring in politics. I'm not going to defend the very few zealot Christians, but you can’t even compare the supposed brainwashing in Jesus camp to what causes people to wear burkas and bombs. Nice try.

NASCAR rocks. I’m going to go cut the sleeves of my t-shirt and get a beer.

Sorry mods. I will not post again.

fifelee said:
You had to bring in politics. I'm not going to defend the very few zealot Christians, but you can’t even compare the supposed brainwashing in Jesus camp to what causes people to wear burkas and bombs. Nice try.

NASCAR rocks. I’m going to go cut the sleeves of my t-shirt and get a beer.

Sorry mods. I will not post again.

Now you're making an unfair comparison by juxtaposing wearing burkas to wearing bombs.

I'm just trying to make a point: them wearing silly clothing is strange to us, but it's their culture. It doesn't harm anyone, just as racing cars doesn't harm anyone. Yes, you could stretch either of those and say that it harms the women who are oppressed, or the excessive fuel consumption of the racing increases our dependence on oil, etc., but you know what i mean.

From what i understand, the men are not allowed to see the woman (in full) until they marry her. Can you imagine? I guess there are many countries that still practice arranged marriages as well. At least you can say you married her for her personality and not for her looks, cuz you really didn't know! :)

NASCAR is a part of our culture. Its roots go back to Prohibition when the good ole boys would get together to find out who had the fastest moonshining car. The reason for the oval was that it was a speed test for the car, not a driving competition.

And the ovals, by and large, remain the same today. They are for testing the cars, not really the drivers. Road courses are much more challenging for drivers (not because of the left and right turns, but because there are more turns per lap, and therefore more things to take into account).

Someday, maybe NASCRAP will try to encourage innovation and technology, but most of the major car manufacturers, whose support is necessary, are trying to avoid this because it will dramatically increase the costs of participation. They already have F1 and LeMans, afterall, to pay for. In short, the fan base is there and growing. There is no reason to mess with the formula that's working- tube framed cars (circa 1930), modern day aerodynamics for all (they restrict how aerodynamic your car can be in order to maintain competition), and limits on engine size and such via restrictor plates.

The end result is that NASCRAP doesn't challenge the car companies, it doesn't challenge the drivers as much (except on roadcourses), it looks good on TV since the courses are laid out in an oval- one camera can see the entire course, and people like watching the pretty-colored cars zoom by.

As for burqas, I'm sure there is an equally good explanation and I don't care to know it any more than I care to know about NASCAR. They are both silly old cultural relics that are extremely popular and need to be abandoned.

desiderata said:
Now you're making an unfair comparison by juxtaposing wearing burkas to wearing bombs.

I'm just trying to make a point: them wearing silly clothing is strange to us, but it's their culture. It doesn't harm anyone, just as racing cars doesn't harm anyone. Yes, you could stretch either of those and say that it harms the women who are oppressed, or the excessive fuel consumption of the racing increases our dependence on oil, etc., but you know what i mean.

From what i understand, the men are not allowed to see the woman (in full) until they marry her. Can you imagine? I guess there are many countries that still practice arranged marriages as well. At least you can say you married her for her personality and not for her looks, cuz you really didn't know! :)

For the record, the Middle Eastern girls I've dated were freaks in the sack!!! :rockin:

Toot said:
For the record, the Middle Eastern girls I've dated were freaks in the sack!!! :rockin:

What's the saying?

"A lady on the street, but a freak in the sheets"...or something to that affect.
:cross:

Back