Motor to power JSP MALTMILL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have 3 phase at your house or live and mill in a Industrial building with 3 phase power? Single phase is available for residental homes.
I find that price way out of line, i've thrown away many motors larger than that in 3 phase.
Single phase or better uet a gearmotor in single phase would work much better around 1/3 hp.

Go thru junk for washing machines and grab a 1725 rpm 1/3 hp motor from it free.
Better yet a curbside tradmill it has a avriable speed 90 VDC 1 1/2 to 3 HP constant speed motors that have a LED shutter window to maintain constant speed no matter the torque load demand.

While I admire you guys that build an ass-kicking powered mill stations, I just connect an AC 7A drill to my JSP Maltmill and it slices right through the grain without seizing.

I know, not as cool, I agree. Works flawlessly, though.

Alright, carry on with the build. I'm looking forward to pics!

I scraped gears, and chain from a kids pedal car, welded up, made drill mounts and now my barley mill is drill powered. Total cost $0. I use this drill for a rod building lather motor and for other turning DIY things, it comes out easy, and has worked for this purpose and many others for 20 years. The drill fits on the plate that came with the mill and the whole thing rests on a 5gal bucket. Small footprint but does the job.

I just connect an AC 7A drill to my JSP Maltmill and it slices right through the grain without seizing.

That's the setup I use but the problem is the flattened part of the JSP mill shaft where the handle set screw seats (at least my shaft is that way). The 3-piece chuck can't get a purchase that doesn't wobble when it turns. I can find an optimal position that doesn't wobble *a lot* but it's still a huge pain.

That's the setup I use but the problem is the flattened part of the JSP mill shaft where the handle set screw seats (at least my shaft is that way). The 3-piece chuck can't get a purchase that doesn't wobble when it turns. I can find an optimal position that doesn't wobble *a lot* but it's still a huge pain.

Before tightening down the chuck add a small piece of steel stock where the flat is located allowing the same height thickness as the shaft diameter.
Clamp one jaw down on this shim then you'll have a true turning chuck no wobble as well slip proof. Another option is add two more flats in 1/3's for the other jaws to tighten down on.

Hmmm. I do have a flat on mine, but I don't have any problem with wobble. My drill has a ½" chuck, so maybe that is the diff.

Latest posts

Back