Babalu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious, does he remember his wife?

Or, do you think he just accepts that he is "supposed" to remember that this woman is his wife and that she is "supposed" to be signifigant to him?

He remembers his family. He remembers friends. He remembers specific events and that is all real. He comes out with full responses to questions (other than 'yes' and 'no') about different topics. The issue is it comes and goes and he is still struggling to get his mouth to say the words sometimes.

Hey all,
It's been a while and I figured I would share some positive news right before the holidays... Our boy has been cleared to start spending some nights at home. He has made an enourmous amount of progress physically and is, pretty much, getting around fully unassisted. I phrase it that way because he still typically has someone nearby... jussssst in case but other than that, he is up and around, getting in and out of chairs, cars, etc all on his own.

The speech part continues to be a bit of a struggle but he is still making a ton of progress there. From what I've been told by a few folks that know what they're talking about, there is no finer motor skill than speech and it makes sense that his speech is the last thing to come back. Given how far he has come on everything else, and the fact that he is still making small leaps of progress here and there, we are all continuing to be confident that he'll be pretty damn close to his old self at some point.

Having him a couple of nights is huge as it's the first time he'll be able to sleep in his OWN bed, see his OWN house, play with his kids in his living room, etc... and... as a really nice touch... he'll be home for the holidays.

I guess the Drs need to check out the house and make sure it doesn't pose any real issues for him and then the next conversation will be getting him home permanently while he continues to rehab.

It has been a brutally long road and there is still a long way to go but I thought I would give folks the positive news for the holidays.

Lastly... yet another thank you for anyone who has made donations or sent good wishes. Folks don't realize what a huge, huge help both were. The outpouring that Jeff's famil got from both "internet friends" and even folks that don't know Jeff at all was incredibly touching and helped a LOT.

Jeff and his family are doing well and continue to get his butt back to 100%.

Now... we just need to get his azz in front of a mash tun!

Thanks again to everyone and happy holidays.

I'm happy to hear it! Thanks for keeping us updated.

Amen! What else can ya say... What a great Christmas gift for Jeff and his family. I do challenge you that he will be 100% himself, or as he was before. I'll bet he has a much stronger love for his family, friends, and life. Cheers, and Merry Christmas Jeff!!!!

Sorry for not keeping up with the postings over the last several months, but I come today with the news we've all been waiting for. After a year and a half battle, Jeff came home for good today!

Thank you all for all your support!

After my really crappy day today, it ends on a really high note!

Thanks a ton for the update, and welcome home Jeff!

Sorry for not keeping up with the postings over the last several months, but I come today with the news we've all been waiting for. After a year and a half battle, Jeff came home for good today!

Thank you all for all your support!

Loved reading this on Facebook last night. Can't wait to hear about his first brew day. :mug:

I don't know Jeff from Adam, but I have followed this and had him in my thoughts many times in the past year and a half.

Heartfelt congrats to both Jeff and his family!

Really glad to hear that he is home for good! I haven't been able to follow over the past 7 months, but this made my day. No doubt, Jeff and his family and friends were in my thoughts over the course of those months. Glad things are getting back to normal.

Glad I could meet Jeff and see his progress over the last year. Meet some really great people too. Good to see him better and at home with the family.

i had the big man over the house not this past weekend but the previous one. The progress he's made is amazing even though it has been a long, long time.

As the article mentions, he still struggles with his speech but... well... I'll just give you an example. The last few times my SWMBO has seen him, he was a bit grumpy and only basically said "yes" or "no" to any questions she asked so she wasn't able to see for herself what I've seen and have been saying for a long time... he's in there. He just has a brutal time getting the words out.

When he was at the house, we were sittin' at the bah... having a few beers (it's great to tip a few with the big man) and the Bruins were on. It was just us (him and Maureen and me and my SWMBO) so he wasn't self-conscience of his speech and plus he had one or two in him.. which I think helps him relax, and it actually slows his mind down so he can concentrate on getting the words out.

Anyway... my SWMBO said something about the Montreal Canadiens and Jeff (a die-hard B's fan) came out with some wise crack in crystal clear words and then started cracking up laughing.

My SWMBO almost fell off her chair and later that night, teared up thinking about it because it was the first time she had seen HIM since he got sick. It was his personality, his sense of humor and his crystal clear words and it was very obvious he knew EXACTLY what he was saying.

He still has some physical therapy to do but he's getting around extremely well. He's still a bit stiff but again... he gets up on his own, walks all over, up and down stairs, in and out of the car... all on his own. It's the speech that they are really working on now though. He keeps making little leaps and now that he's home, we're hoping his speech will just get better and better.

One cool thing Maureen was telling us... as part of his ongoing therapy... they are trying to get him back into his old life and asked him to set goals. One of the goals the therapists are actually working on is "getting back into brewing".... so... some lucky bastid therapist gets to go to Jeff's house and hang out and help him brew... and get paid for it. That aside... I think it's pretty cool that "get back into brewing" is an actual goal of his and he's at the point now where even the therapists are saying, "yup... it's time."

Totally agree... in principal...

Until THIS nurse shows up...

yikes.jpg

paulthenurse said:
What? You don't like Sierra Nevada all of a sudden?

We all love good beer but you never drop it off for us to drink. You have to stick around and drink one too.

Every time I see that name, it reminds me of Desi Arnaz & Lucy. I'm having trouble with the right side of my face, thus effecting anything to do with speaking, drinking or eating. Dr first thought it was Bell's Palsy. Then maybe Lyme's Disease. MRI of my gourd came out clear. Hope he has better luck than I am at this point. Darn cold, damp air isn't doing my back & hips any good. So I feel ya there.

Back