Question about FWH for no-chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing my first no-chill brew (also my first BIAB) this Big Brew day, using the recipe provided by the AHA. The recipe calls for the only hops to be a FWH addition, but the hop conversion chart floating around (traditional method to no-chill) doesn't really discuss that possibility.

So, does the FWH addition stay FWH, dry hop, or...?

I tried to search, but I'm guessing my keywords were too vague, got a lot of results, but none of them helpful.

Thanks in advance!

What's the recipe? Was this recipe created for No-Chill or just BIAB?

Either way I'd probably just leave it as FWH. The purpose of FWH is to give you the most out of your hops, you get Aroma and Flavor as well as a less harsh bitterness than just using a 90 or 60 min addition.

Thanks for the info. It's a "traditionally" brewed beer (not no-chill or BIAB). Here it is:

American Craft Beer Wheat All Grain

For a 5.3 gallon (20 L) yield for a 70 minute boil

O.G.: 1.043
F.G.: 1.011
IBU: 13.1

Fermentables
4.65 lb (2.1 kg) 2-Row Pale Malt (56.7%)
3.35 lb (1.5 kg) Wheat Malt (40.9%)
0.2 lb (91 g) Munich Malt (2.4%)

Hops
0.25 oz (7 g) Chinook pellets, (13% AA), first wort hop (FWH) addition (If Chinook is unavailable, substitute Simcoe or Challenger hops for 13 IBU.)

Yeast
Two (2) packages Wyeast 1010 American Wheat yeast, or two (2) White Labs WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale yeast, or make an appropriate size yeast starter

Directions for All-Grain Recipe

Mash in at 145° F (63° C) and hold for 60 minutes. Slowly raise the mash temperature to 169° F (76° C), then sparge with 173° F (78° C) water. Add the hops to the boil kettle and collect enough runoff to end up with 5.3 gallons (20 L) after a 70-minute boil (approximately 6.4 gallons, or 24 L). Bring to a boil for 70 minutes, and then turn off the heat. Next, chill to 62-65° F (17-18° C), transfer to a fermenter, pitch the yeast and aerate well. Continue fermenting at 65° F (18° C) for a total of one week. Rack to secondary for another week. Rack to keg, or if you are bottling, add the bottling sugar and then bottle as you normally would.

Carbonation

Force carbonate at 3.0 – 3.5 volumes of CO2

—OR—

Bottle condition using 5.0 – 6.3 oz weight (142-178 g) corn sugar

NOTE: The all-grain recipes assume 75% efficiency unless otherwise stated. Adjust the grain bill to match your system.

Yeah, I'll agree with willynilly here just use the FWH. The hop character won't be changed much if at all IMHO by doing a No Chill.

Back