Brew Hauler...do you have one and do you like it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one.

It works great. Only problem is it requires this weird posture to carry a full carboy with it. You can't let your arms hang down, since the carboy will be on the ground, so instead I have to do this half lift thing, which ends up hurting my back more.

The brewhauler sits unused in my basement now...(also, i have 5 carboys, so I got tired of moving it). I use the "bear hug" method for moving carboys now. It would be a lot safer to get milk crates, but I'm lazy.

I have one and never use it. I would if I had to move a carboy up/down stairs I guess. I have a little furniture dolly with a piece of plywood on it i roll full carboys around on.

I have a couple and love them. I only use them only on my glass carboys as my Better Bottles aren't near as heavy or dangerous to carry around. One of mine has been sitting in water in my fermentation cooler for nearly a year and is still as strong as the day I bought it.

I have one.

It works great. Only problem is it requires this weird posture to carry a full carboy with it. You can't let your arms hang down, since the carboy will be on the ground, so instead I have to do this half lift thing, which ends up hurting my back more.

I was thinking about the weird posture while carrying and hurting my back, but I guess it is safer to carry with the brew hauler.

I love mine but also find it can be hard on the back to use. I still find it safer than without. My only complaint is that I often rack into my carboy, then realize that I forgot to put the hauler on. oopsie.

Go to your favorite thrift store and see if they have any nice canvass bags from LL Bean, Landsend, etc... The work great are are next to free.

OR

Go to Aldi and buy one of their $1.99 bags. They look heavy enough to work just fine.

I have a couple of them .... I've used them several times and they haven't failed me, but the plastic clasp/buckle makes me nervous when carrying a full 5 gallon glass carboy.

This link shows a similar style buckle to the one that's used on the top strap of the brew hauler:
http://www.hockeyworld.com/common/images/products/large/153-6261.jpg

As I mentioned ... it just makes me nervous.

I've switched to using plastic crates and feel much safer since.

-BigCask

Ale pails come with a handle. oops OT. :) Yes they are worth it. Weird posture? I have never experienced this as I am taller than my arms. I have bull tape(pulling rope) tied into the handles so I can carry it one handed. It is easier to carry two than to carry one off balance.

I have one.

The brewhauler sits unused in my basement now...(also, i have 5 carboys, so I got tired of moving it). I use the "bear hug" method for moving carboys now. It would be a lot safer to get milk crates, but I'm lazy.

Sell the OP yours ;)

+1 for the harness. I have one and couldn't imagine lifting a full carboy without it. And I agree, NEVER use a carboy handle for a full carboy. I thought that was just common sense.

I was wondering about this as well. I currently use a milk crate. But with a full carboy inside it can damage our hardwood floors if I'm not careful. Seems to be a mixed review of the brew hauler.

Have one on every glass vessel and they are excellent. Paranoia forces me to remove them every time I wash a carboy and do visual check for damage. Two years and not a single issue using them.

As for awkward carrying, it's no more difficult than carrying a full ale pale. Always want to be careful with a full container of sweet wort or beer.

Latest posts

Back