Gluten Free Chouquettes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lcasanova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Experimenting with Gluten Free Flour in place of regular flour, here's #1, they are pretty effing tasty :rockin:

Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
pinch salt
1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
3 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons pearl sugar/granulated sugar

Procedure:
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Place butter, water, sugar, and salt in saucepan, cover and bring to boil. Take pan off heat once boiling and dump in flour and Xanthan Gum. Stir to incorporate. Return the pan to medium-low heat, and stir constantly for about 30 seconds or until dough begins to come away from pan. Scoop out of pan and into a bowl to cool for a few minutes.
3. Add one egg at a time and stir. When all eggs are absorbed you will have a thick, smooth, and sticky dough.
4. Use two spoons to drop tablespoon sized mounds onto a lined baking sheet. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Remeber, these will puff up and be much larger once cooked, they can take more sugar than you think.
5. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 then lower heat to 350 and bake for 35-40 minutes until the chouquettes are puffed, golden, and hard to the touch. Cool on rack.

Eat them as is, or drizzle with honey or smother with jam.

IMG_02991.jpg

I was poking around here looking for something different to make. My step daughter is celiac, so this was an easy choice. She helped me make them and they turned out fantastic! I have to say, I was a bit skeptical at first. They are light, airy, great flavor.

I've had a lot of gluten free baked goods, and its always obvious that they are GF. I would not have known these were GF if I hadn't made them myself. My only regret is that I only made a single batch. Next time I double it for sure.

Well done, and thanks!

Back