first batch done on friday!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailblazer

Reaction score
hi, im new to the forum, like many others i snooped around for a month and read everything possible. anyways...heres the breakdown of the brew day.

me and my brother went in on this hobby so weve compiled some cool sh$% so far including one of those stainless steel cheap conicals off ebay and some other "gadgets". for the first batch we brewed some english pale ale from more beer (50 cent beers) and to that, for fun added 2oz cenntenial and 2oz cascade to up the ibu's. we started off by sanitizing everything with starsan except the brewpot. we used a 32 quart aluminum pot from target ($20) so we could do an inexpensive full boil. put a stainless weldless ball valve kit on it and bought a campchef cooker from the local hbs. we didnt have a timer so we had to use my cellphone to time everything.

-the recipee said to steep the grains at 170 for 20 minuts but we did, i would say around 30, then let it cool to 160 and pulled the grains out. i figured a little extra time would just extract more flavor from the grains.

-we brought the 6.5 gallons back to a boil then shut off the flame and added the extra light malt extract that came with the kit, brought it back up to a boil and stired out the heat break then wrote down the time so we could time out the 60 minuts.

-at this point our sister came home and started to bit ch about the mess in the garage and targeted my brother so it was all on me to handle the rest while they went at it. haha. so i added 1 oz of the hops the kit came with as directions suggested at 60, 1oz of centenial at 20 and the other at 15, then at maybee 5 i added 2oz of cascade and at 0 minuts i added the other 1oz of the hops the kit came with.

-forgot the wirlflock tablet and to put the immersion chiller in the pot. oops. anyways i turned the flame back on and put the chiller in their for a while maybee 5 minuts at 200 degrees then shut the flame off again and kicked on the water. chilled to 90 degrees in 13 minuts full blast 3/8"x25' copper chiller.

-had the pot and burner already elevated so it would poor straight into the conical without any effort. turned the valve on the pot and it shot straight in no worries while airrating as it splashed in. i took a gravity reading-1.49og

-we drank the sweet wort and it tasted like a flat nonalcoholic sierra nevada torpedo. forgot to mention i sanitized a wine bottle while boiling the wort cooled it down put the yeast in their and shook the crap out of it. we pitched that in the conical prior to emptying the pot. put the lid on the fermenter and airlock and put it inside.

their thermostat just broke so now their house is at 87 degrees most of the time. i hope this dosnt ruin our first, unplanned out, drama brew day all because of some temp. but ill still drink it if it does.:mug: hahaa

Congrats! And welcome.

87 degrees is way too hot to ferment your beer. You're likely to end up with fusel alcohol and other unpleasantness in there.

You'll need some way to control the temperature...do you have a fridge that your conical will fit in?

What yeast are you using?

no i dont have a fridge that i could put it in. its not like i can stick the conical in the tub either...or can i? the temp gauge on it is whats reading 87 to 90. i realize thats way to hot for a good fermentation.
i think the yeat was dry safeale 05

could i get some more malt extract and make a belgium yeast starter and throw that in with the yeast thats already in their?

You could, but I don't think it would accomplish anything useful. The other yeast are already in there and will remain in there.

i quit! im dumping my batch right now and sellin the equipment!!! haha jk

if it comes out like crap i can alwase brew up another one and feed this one to the beer scavengers.

Back