New hoppy brews at the local beer store!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkestdays

Reaction score
Just found a six pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA at the local beer store, and it is delicious! Never seen this before, but I was a big fan of the Harvest wet hopped ale. The best part is that it costs the same as the pale ale @ $8.99, and this is hoppy as hell with a 7.2% abv rating. Good stuff for IPA lovers!

They have also just received a pretty large shipment of Bell's Hopslam. I have not tried this yet, but I am debating on buying a case next week. It's fairly pricey at about $16.99 a sixer, or like fifty-something for a case. What are the opinions on Hopslam? Should I buy a case and savor it until next year?

Does anyone have a recipe for either?

Just read on the Sierra Nevada website and found out the the Extra IPA will be available year round which is great! Here are the details..

"Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops. "

alcohol content 7.2% by volume
yeast Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 17.8 Plato
ending gravity 4.6 Plato
bitterness units 70
bittering hops Magnum
finishing hops Magnum & Crystal
dry hopping Magnum, Crystal & Citra
malts Two-row Pale, Carapils
& Crystal

What the hell are Citra hops, and where can I get them? Never heard of them.

Interesting about the SN products didn't know that they would be offering that. Hopefully we obtain some of that around here, we should considering we've gotten everything else SN.

As for HopSlam, I actually have been drinking the **** out of this recently and love it. We have it on tap here at two taprooms and it's very very good. It's got a nice sweet malty body that actually cuts it to like a single ipa as far as bitterness is concerned but I tell you the aroma is where it's at, this thing has pounds of simcoe in it omg it's so good out of a snifter. Larry Bell comes down here quite often and hangs out at the taprooms we have quite often and he was just down here recently so we got some of Mr. Bells wholesome goodness.

Bought a six pack of that Torpedo the other day, it was awesome!

I've been wanting to try Hopslam for awhile, but my local shop hasn't gotten it in yet. :(

picked up a sixer yesterday and damn it was delicious and smooth... and boy what a head on it when i poured it

WoW! Can't wait to try the torpedo. Looking at their sight I did not know they did a Pilsner in the Summer either.

That's the first time I've ever seen Magnum mentioned for finishing hops and dry hops. I was watching a recent SMaSH thread about Magnum and curious what they would be like for finishing hops. They must be decent if SN is using them, at least in conjunction with others...

SN Torpedo has made its way here and I love it! I also picked up the SN ESB and really enjoyed it as well. Good to know that the Torpedo will be available year round. I have been buying it like crazy thinking it wouldnt be here long....

Dang, I think I saw the ESB at the store as well. I will have to buy some and see what it's like. I hate to admit this, but I'm not really sure that I've ever had an ESB. I've had plenty of english brown ales, but I will soon buy something with "ESB" on the label just to make sure. It will be delicious I hope!

Back