Today's Lunch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I worked until noon-ish today, and now I'm having a snack.

DSCF5574.jpg

Smoked smelt from Lake Superior, pickled beets, and an IPA. Yum! :rockin:

i want your working hours, your lunch, your beer, but i could use less smelt :D

Well, it was good! My friend caught them, cleaned them, smoked them, and delivered them. It only costs me a few beers. He said he LOVES the Furious type clone I have on tap right now, so he was happy and so was I.

Yooper said:
Well, they are also a delicacy, and you can only get them in the spring when they "run". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelt_(fish)

They are good fried, but better smoked! They are small, though, so I hate cleaning them!

I appreciate the process, and i might even like it (wouldn't know where to get it, and i'm actually intrigued), but i think i'd rather some smoked brisket haha

I remember dipping smelt out of the Cowlitz river as a kid and taking them to my grandparents to cook them. After my first bite, I thought, "Can someone tell me why we caught these?!?!?" I imagine they would have been much better smoked.

I love smelt. I could do without the beets, but I wouldn't starve if they were available. Wow. For some reason I can suddenly smell smoked fish... yummy! Never had smoked smelt, but I bet they are good!

For my lunch today I am planning on maybe some celery or carrots and soem crackers and tuna. IF I stay at work and play out on the shop floor. If I go home, then forget the tuna! I think there is some Taco Bell in the fridge from last night.

I think everyone's mom has/had those plates! :fro:

Not mine! I bought those myself in 1983. :drunk:

Bob is frying some more smelt tomorrow night for dinner. I don't like them as well fried, as I think smoking anything makes it tastes better, but it'll still be good. The beets were incredibly yummy- Bob pickled them and I threw in a couple of hot peppers to make them a bit spicy.

oh snap! Yooper is everyone's mom!

FWIW I stayed at lunch and drilled and tapped the base and plunger for my cheese press. Tuna and carrots for lunch. It will be worth it when I can finally make some cheddar (hopefully).

Man, I gotta find me a mess of smelt now. I think the bar in town has a smelt fry once a week.

Do they taste anything like Smoked Whitefish? I love smoked Whitefish but it is crazy expensive here in Portland. Love the beets & IPA for sure.

Do they taste anything like Smoked Whitefish? I love smoked Whitefish but it is crazy expensive here in Portland. Love the beets & IPA for sure.

No, smelt have a unique taste. He also gives us smoked laketrout and smoked suckers. Smelt are more like herring- they are pretty strong flavored unlike whitefish. The smoked/salty taste is really great on these, since they are strong flavored.

Back