Feels like the first time..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
After 10 batches of ales of many different varieties... I did my first Lager. I feel like the first beer I ever made all over again... Staring at the airlock, waiting for that first bubble... staring at the thermometer and worrying like a new mom about the temperature being right...

Yeah. I just had to say that.

Its totally understandable. I have my GF text me at work hourly what the temp, and air lock are doing.

Its totally understandable. I have my GF text me at work hourly what the temp, and air lock are doing.

Whenever I was away on business I would chat with SWMBO before going to bed. I always asked about the fermentation activity. It got to the point where she would let me know what they were doing before I asked. Good training, eh?

over 3 days in and suddenly... nice, clean white blanket of snowy krausen the likes of which I've never seen before and a gentle bubbling through the airlock. All without the wort not seeing over 55 degrees since I pitched.

Lager is a beautiful anomaly to behold.

LOL Its nice to know that I am not alone (as a brewn00b). My daughter and I woke up this morning to watch the airlocks of my brew and apfelwein 'burp' as the yeasties are ding their job.

I still find myself sticking my head around the corner to watch the bubblies of the airlocks and the smell of scotch whisky faintly present. (Yes, I put scotch into the airlocks... I almost cried when I read the bottle again - its a 10 year scotch.)
Il half tempted to drink my airlocks now. LOL Wont be doing that again!
-Me

JoeMama - Time to move to cheap vodka, personally I don't abuse alcohol (IE: spilling or some other form of waste) so I just use a little of the left over sanitizer solution. I keep the volume low enough that I don't worry about blow back.

Back