Cold Conditioning to Bottles Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franzi

Reaction score
My pumpkin ale (got a late start on things) has been in 50 degree secondary for two weeks now. This is my first time conditioning at low temperatures so I was wondering if I have to do anything out of the ordinary when it comes to bottling this weekend.

My main concern is: is the yeast in there OK or is it all dormant/settled, do I need to repitch or are they still floating around, will carbonation be OK? Or do I simply go about bottling an ale as usual?

As always, thanks for the help, knowledge, and wisdom.

My pumpkin ale (got a late start on things) has been in 50 degree secondary for two weeks now. This is my first time conditioning at low temperatures so I was wondering if I have to do anything out of the ordinary when it comes to bottling this weekend.

My main concern is: is the yeast in there OK or is it all dormant/settled, do I need to repitch or are they still floating around, will carbonation be OK? Or do I simply go about bottling an ale as usual?

As always, thanks for the help, knowledge, and wisdom.

It depends on the yeast, some yeasts will be more active at that temperature than others.

In any case 50 isn't so low that they'll be totally useless, at worst they'll just be sluggish... a bit of a shake or some warmth will wake 'em up if needed.

50 is low for an ale yeast, but you shouldn't need to repitch yeast. Might keep em in a bit warmer area for a few days to get started though.

Back