paint strainers awesome for gran but plug with hop pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
OK, so this past weekend I used some paint strainer bags to filter out my partial mash. AWESOME!!!!!! However, after my boil, I used another bag to filter my wort and the hops pellets almost instantly plugged the 5 gal paint bag.

So... how do you filter out hop pellets from boiled wort?

thanks folks!

-J

I use a large fine mesh bag contraption. It does drain slowly, so I just let it hang over the kettle as it empties. I have also used my boil spoon/paddle to wipe the crud off the inside of the bag to help it drain faster.

Here's a pic of my hop strainer contraption. Gotta come up with a good name for it!

hop%20filter.jpg

These paint strainers I keep reading about, they aren't really meant for high heat, so of course my stupid question is: There is no after taste or these things show no signs of melting?

Ol' Grog said:
These paint strainers I keep reading about, they aren't really meant for high heat, so of course my stupid question is: There is no after taste or these things show no signs of melting?

Cheap nylon has a melting point of 215º-220ºC. I'm not too worried about my temp getting that hot.

Let it settle out in the trub. No harm, no foul, no bags to clean, no extra waste, no wait on straining, no side affects.

- WW

I say it has to be something that taken out of context at a public place within conversation, that passerby's think you are a perv :)

Back