15 gallon plastic conical.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franklinswheat

Reaction score
I'm thinking about purchasing the 15 gallon conical from plastic Mart unsure with or without the frame. Question is if anyone has one of these hiw do they regulate the temperature. Right now I use a water bath in my basement and aquarium heater. Obviously this method will no longer work. I would appreciate any suggestions. Cost is obviously an issue. Thanks in advance.

Agreed I'm jealous that I started the thread, but due to having to brew off site. I haven't gotten a chance to use it. Or my stir plate and only brewed twice on e-brewery so far. Damn house for sale!

Yeah I read a large portion of it. I't seems most people are concerned about it being too warm but my concern is is being too cool. I'm looking for a good solution for heating that isn't placing it in a large temperature controlled room.

I tape a 20watt output heatplate to the side of my fermenter cover it with bubblewrap and the whole lot is covered in duct tape. Its rough but it works. I guess it all depends how cold your fermentation room is and how warm you wish to ferment at. My 15 gallon plastic FV is in my garage and is pretty much a constant 16 degrees. Middle of Winter i turn on the heatplate and throw a load of blankets over the top of the FV. Obviously the yeast throws off its own heat and all works out well. You could i suppose use a larger aquarium heater?

I am using a stand up freezer with all the shelves taken out. I built a stand that fits inside and I use a temp controller taped to the outside of the conical to regulate the temps. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Sent from my myTouch 3G Slide using Home Brew Talk

build a box out of ply/press/chip board and 2x4's (often you can find these as scrap on c-list) then put a work light in there facing the floor area. the confined space and heat from the light should keep it warm enough. I did that in my garage and works good except i used a dish washer box with blankets on it lol. ^ idea is next on the list.

for cooling you might try one of those little square fridges and remove the door and mount to the side of the box. often free or 15 bucks. probably get out of the whole project for less than 50 bucks and that's with minimal freecycling. Good Luck!

I am using a stand up freezer with all the shelves taken out. I built a stand that fits inside and I use a temp controller taped to the outside of the conical to regulate the temps. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Sent from my myTouch 3G Slide using Home Brew Talk

What is the brand and model number of that stand up freezer. I was under the impression most stand up freezers ran the cooling coils through the shelves.

Thanks

Back