Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
strecker - I believe you can throw your name into the sheet like you described. Post with your addition to let people know, and/or splits. need any help holler

Thinking $500 is my limit on this order, lol. Got into a fender bender sat so gotta put $ into my car now. Boo.

Also brewed up an Agave Summer Wheat on sunday. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

Added 3 bags for my friend under my buy. Put it under CM-2ROW for now, but will get the specific type later this week. Just want to make sure it's in before it fills (if some how we got another 20 bags this week, but you never know!)

62 + 2

found a belhaven scottish ale at wegmans the other day - the only scottish ale I could find. Man that wasn;t cheap at $5 a pint!

Anyway, hope that gives me an idea of what to expect. Anybody know what type of scottish ale that would fall under? (70 schilling etc?)

Also. Sierra Nevada has a new rye brew that I grabbed. Worst part is... I am sick so new brewskies for a while (can't properly taste them) :(

Dude, I love that rye IPA!

I think that bellhaven is the only Scotch we carry. Unless you get growlers of Rohrbachs out there. They're here in Rochester and I know they go out to buffalo - not sure about Ste. They have a killer scotch.

found a belhaven scottish ale at wegmans the other day - the only scottish ale I could find. Man that wasn;t cheap at $5 a pint!

Anyway, hope that gives me an idea of what to expect. Anybody know what type of scottish ale that would fall under? (70 schilling etc?)

Also. Sierra Nevada has a new rye brew that I grabbed. Worst part is... I am sick so new brewskies for a while (can't properly taste them) :(

belhaven i believe is 80 shilling, i like the wee heavy much more! that is some good stuff. (unless you bought the nitro's)

the wee heavy is def at the wegmans in dewitt, iv seen it there, they have (the one you bought) and sometimes nitro's which i really like (its like drinking tasty water)

Dude, I love that rye IPA!

I think that bellhaven is the only Scotch we carry. Unless you get growlers of Rohrbachs out there. They're here in Rochester and I know they go out to buffalo - not sure about Ste. They have a killer scotch.

Galeville/Byrne Dairy in Lpool sells growlers of Rohrbachs. Only place in Syracuse! Last time I was there they had 4 types, including the Krismas Ale.

the wee heavy is def at the wegmans in dewitt, iv seen it there, they have (the one you bought) and sometimes nitro's which i really like (its like drinking tasty water)

I could have missed it, but I am thinking they might have either been out or they are simply changing what they have. They had the scotch ale I found in the European section, but I was in there for like 20 minutes looking through everything and couldn't find another type. Ah well, I will have to check again the next time I make it through!:) My wee heavy is about to go on the gas so it would be cool to have a commercial one to compare with.

We used to carry McEwans but they stopped importing to the US. That was a really popular one. Custom Brewcrafters has one called MacBubba. It's their take on a Scotch. I found it pretty good. I didn't love it but wouldn't shun one if it crossed my path again. Not sure if CB is out your way. Their home base is in Honeoye Falls NY.

My wee heavy is about to go on the gas so it would be cool to have a commercial one to compare with.

If you did a version of my recipe the original was an AHS McKewans clone kit which I tweaked several times. Have tried the Bellhaven but mine is totally different. The closest commercial example available locally that I have found is Rohrbachs.

Galeville/Byrne Dairy in Lpool sells growlers of Rohrbachs. Only place in Syracuse! Last time I was there they had 4 types, including the Krismas Ale.

If you did a version of my recipe the original was an AHS McKewans clone kit which I tweaked several times. Have tried the Bellhaven but mine is totally different. The closest commercial example available locally that I have found is Rohrbachs.

I did do your recipe as stated. I believe my boil off was a little weak on it, but I can't recall. Otherwise it should be pretty close (still dialing in my boil off/venting for indoor brewing).

Sounds like I might have to chase down a growler of Rohrbachs.

Who is "TravisC" on the buy sheet? You posted new splits on the sheet. Can you make sure to post those splits on this thread as well, so we know when things are added. I can see when changes occur since I get an email anytime it is changed, but others don't.

Also updated pricing on the 2 new splits added, GW-15 and GW-30.

Thanks!

Not sure if anyone is considering going electric... but I just got a killer deal on an enclosure, and tons of lights, some switches and contactors for my upgrade to a 60amp control panel. The deal going is free shipping on anything that fits in the enclosure (this cuts the cost of the lights down from like $18 to like 4$).

Here is the one I got - http://www.ebay.com/itm/110673448200?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thought I would let you guys know!

Not sure if anyone is considering going electric... but I just got a killer deal on an enclosure, and tons of lights, some switches and contactors for my upgrade to a 60amp control panel. The deal going is free shipping on anything that fits in the enclosure (this cuts the cost of the lights down from like $18 to like 4$).

Here is the one I got - http://www.ebay.com/itm/110673448200?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thought I would let you guys know!
Cidah, can you post some of the other parts you bought?

Cidah, I noticed Sam Adams has 4 pks of their Wee Heavy at my store.

which location are you? I would love to try it. Tried the belhaven and it was pretty good, but not knock my socks off. Very malty nose and finish with a smooth easy drinking middle. I could taste how it would be nice to have good prominent caramel in the middle (belhaven had some). THe hops cleaned up the end and the dryness made this one an almost easy drinker, but just a bit more of a sipper that could be enjoyed letting the glass warm up along the way. I think I would appreciate a wee heavy effort more so, though it was a good brew.

copyright, if you are considering a build and need some help let me know. there are a lot of things to consider. However, it is a great project, that you can do as quick or as slow as you want. I am collectiong parts now, but it will probably be spring and summer before I am done building. THis is mostly b/c I have a control panel that works already and I want to make sure I think of everything for the current panel design and my end use.

copyright, if you are considering a build and need some help let me know. there are a lot of things to consider. However, it is a great project, that you can do as quick or as slow as you want. I am collectiong parts now, but it will probably be spring and summer before I am done building. THis is mostly b/c I have a control panel that works already and I want to make sure I think of everything for the current panel design and my end use.

Yes, I am thinking about it. I started reading the thread you created, got through page 12 or so last night before my head started to hurt. I like the idea of being able to brew in-door or in the garage and not having to mess with propane.

So, I would be interested in what you think your target build will look like and the associated part set. Is it best I read that thread front to back first?
Thanks.

Yes, I am thinking about it. I started reading the thread you created, got through page 12 or so last night before my head started to hurt. I like the idea of being able to brew in-door or in the garage and not having to mess with propane.

So, I would be interested in what you think your target build will look like and the associated part set. Is it best I read that thread front to back first?
Thanks.

I am in the middle of making about 27lbs of beef sticks and sausage, so I can get you more detail later.

owever my basic panel will look similar to the ebuild on electric brewery. One big difference will be that instead of only controlling one element at a time mine will have a 60amp capacity that will allow me to run two elements simultaneously (in addition to pumps, a ventilation fan/hood, and possibly an overhead light). I only have rough drawings of my panel now, that are pencil and paper at home and some basic wiring diagrams on visio.

Overall I am basically making my control panel look very pretty with lots of lights (intuitive operation), adding simultaneous element firing capacity, some 120 plugs on fuses for pumps, etc., adding an alarm function, and possibly a timer. The basic build I have now gets the job done, but I need something to keep me busy over the winter and this is just the thing :D

I am not an electrician. However I ahve learned a lot through guys on here and have my bro in law certified electrician double check my work before I will fire up. This is "kill you amperage", so you want to be sure you understand that, and how to mitigate that risk. All that said I feel perfectly comfortable with my rig, my electrical set up etc. It is one of those things where you have to be on point for your build, then after that you are golden.

I screwed up with a couple things along the way, bought the wrong type of SSRs, threw out a perfectly good element, and the list goes on. But the point is I learned as I went and understand how my set up works now. If you want to see that progression feel free to cruise through my ebuild link. I wouldn't change a socket in my house without flinching before (with breaker off); so I have come a long way for sure.

If you aren't and electrical guy, probably makes sense to take it a day at a time and read, digest, read, digest :D However the concepts are very simple, yet seemingly overwhelming at first.

Feel free to post some questions as you have them to my build thread - a lot of guys way smarter than me with electrical that have helped me there and check out my thread when i have questions.

Cidah, thanks. I have done wiring before, including running 240v circuits. However, the electrical + liquids aspects of this makes me nervous, plus there is a major difference between running a new dedicated circuit to an appliance (e.g. an electric hot water heater) and wiring up a CONTROL PANEL.

My thought process is to learn enough to price out the build as if I was to do it myself and then decide (if I want to go forward) whether I want to actually do the build or hand it over to a licensed electrician.

Of course, your posts about the great deals is getting me wanting to buy, buy, buy things. :)

I hear that. Well so two comments on that.

1. You will be able to set up the "power" from your main panel to get it to a 4 pronged outlet somewhere in your house where you will plug in your control panel (saves you some bread). You will need at least one two pole 30GFI breaker to get one 5500w going.
2. If you check out some of my visio drawings you will see I have pretty much idiot proofed (at least for me) the wiring of the control panel by using pictures of the parts, etc. This worked for me, it might work for you.

Your control panel can cost $375 or $4000. I think my original control panel, which was over built, cost me about 6-700 with screw ups, I think that included putting in electric hardware to one pot.

If memory serves, plan on spending $150-175 to electrify a given pot. In the beginning I was only using one pot as my HLT and BK, so that saved me some coin. Now I have added on and have a BK and HLT that are both electrified.

check out my thread, and read through the electric brewing section on this forum. I can help you with some ideas if you tell me what your end goal is. But when it comes to the wiring, anything outside my last project I would encourage you to ask people on the forum at a minimum. i.e. I have learned with electric, I am only as good as my last project :D

Your starting place should be, what do you want to be able to do with your rig? 10g batches? boil only? eherms? etc. Once you start to sort that out then you set up the parameters for your control panel. You can go really simple on these too.

Cidah- I'm in Brockport, west of Rochester. I suggested the Sams Wee Heavy figuring it was more widely distributed. What store is closest to you?

While I have no interest in going electric I do have an interest in an electric HLT with a thermostat one day. Any good reads out there that you've found really helpful?

I haven't really looked. But when I started the electric gig my plan was to boil water and heat strike with electric. Like anything, you ideas get grander :D Now I am considering eherms, etc.

I am in Syracuse, so I hit the dewitt wegmans - unfortunately they don't have the we heavy - but I would love to try it. Maybe I have to get a beers of the world trip ready :)

I like gas for boil and plan on keeping a cooler mash tun but a temp controlled EHLT would be nuts. I plan on putting a fill pipe on it so I don't have to haul h2o.

Dewitts a nice store. You may also find Old Chub Scotch ale. Really good.

I like gas for boil
I personally disagree, just because I got sick of hauling propane, and it is highly inefficient was spending 5-7$ per brew depending on where I filled up. I think this is even more true once you up the 5g batch to a 10g or similar. And let's face it - the indoor brewing it a lot easier electric. Really nice knowing I don't have to run to the gas station for a fill up mid brew.

It sounds crazy too, but electric in the summer is awesome. Super quiet (my burner sounded like a jet engine). But to each his own! :D

Alright off to shop prices on some yeast. Looks like a Belgian specialty might be up next!

I personally disagree, just because I got sick of hauling propane, and it is highly inefficient was spending 5-7$ per brew depending on where I filled up. I think this is even more true once you up the 5g batch to a 10g or similar. And let's face it - the indoor brewing it a lot easier electric. Really nice knowing I don't have to run to the gas station for a fill up mid brew.

It sounds crazy too, but electric in the summer is awesome. Super quiet (my burner sounded like a jet engine). But to each his own! :D

Alright off to shop prices on some yeast. Looks like a Belgian specialty might be up next!

How long does it take you to do a batch on electric?

Typically for a 5 gallon batch (7.5 gal boil), I can leave work at 5 PM, start brewing by 5:15, and be completely cleaned up and in the fermenter by 9:30PM. If it's a double batch, i tend to add maybe another 30-45 mins. But its nice since I can brew any day of the week, got the process down pretty well. As for the propane, i have 3 tanks. I shop at BJ's every few weeks so I always get one filled when I go, runs me $12.

How long does it take you to do a batch on electric?

Typically for a 5 gallon batch (7.5 gal boil), I can leave work at 5 PM, start brewing by 5:15, and be completely cleaned up and in the fermenter by 9:30PM. If it's a double batch, i tend to add maybe another 30-45 mins. But its nice since I can brew any day of the week, got the process down pretty well. As for the propane, i have 3 tanks. I shop at BJ's every few weeks so I always get one filled when I go, runs me $12.

According to this calculator, it takes about 22 minutes to get 7 gallons from 55 degrees to 165 degrees with a 5500 watt element.

A better scenario would be for a 5 gallon batch, 3 gallon mash, 4 gallon sparge (just making these up), under 10 minutes to get the mash volume to temp (55->165), and 15 minutes to get the 4 gallon sparge from 55 to 185 (easy to do given the mash taking an hour). Then, to get the mash out + sparge out liquid (lets still say 7 gallons) from say 165 to 212 takes 8 minutes.

For 10 gallon batches with 6 (mash) + 8 (sparge), it would be 27, 30, and 17 minutes.

Is there any life left in the keg purchase we were discussing? I'm contemplating getting some more kegs soon as I've been keeping them all full and they seem to just be going up in price everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't claiming one was better than the other - I just prefer it. It costs me about $3 per batch for propane and is really easy for me to get. I don't and never will brew indoors otherwise I would seriously consider electric. Hell, I don't even plan on getting pumps. I'm going to run gravity for quite some time.

Smashing said:
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't claiming one was better than the other - I just prefer it. It costs me about $3 per batch for propane and is really easy for me to get. I don't and never will brew indoors otherwise I would seriously consider electric. Hell, I don't even plan on getting pumps. I'm going to run gravity for quite some time.

Which ever method saves me the most time. Since that's what I don't have a ton of. I'd consider electric if it's faster. But not sure if it is. Plus I can't run a 220 line to my garage easy. And my basement is not an option since its my game room since boiling wort prob isn't good for my pinball machines.

electric is just as fast, or faster than propane (I seem to think I have done an 11g batch in 3.5-4hrs at my fastest, but don't quote me). I do 11g batches and I can match times like you have stated. That is when the batch is a 60 minute type. If the batch is a 90 minute then it adds some to it. The most I ever did was a triple brew day, and on here somewhere I posted how long that took, but can't recall off the top of my head.

With electric you basically are getting 100% heat transfer from the element tot he wort. With the gas you get a lot of heat escaping on the sides of the brew pot etc. I have a 180,000 btu burner too, so it had nothing to do with burner capacity.

That is a heck of a price 0n propane you are getting (don't think I ever got a refill for that cheap), but based on the research other on HBT have done electric is cheaper in the long run. When I figured my cost out I calculated that I would have me electric rig paid off on about 3-4 years of brewing in energy cost savings (not even counting convenience costs, etc.). For me aside from the cost savings is the absolutely the convenience and the hobby part. i.e. building and designing the stuff is a lot of fun and it keeps me busy doing something I enjoy.

I brewing electric a requirement? Absolutely not. But to me, I would never go back to propane now. I flip a switch and i have an unlimited on demand power supply.

Is there any life left in the keg purchase we were discussing? I'm contemplating getting some more kegs soon as I've been keeping them all full and they seem to just be going up in price everywhere.

mparsonsYeah I would like to know a bit more about this too!

Smashing, sorry if I came off otherwise - I knew you weren't pushing an agenda :D

Electric has been costed out at about $1.19 per batch. For me I was spending about $5-7 per batch depending on where I got the propane. I think the cheapest I ever got was at tractor supply ($15). On the weekend if I ran to the gas station in a pinch, I think it was closer to $20.

I said the same thing about pumps as you did. Hell I said the same thing about ballvalves in my pots. Then I tried them and wow, they are great - ha! I think for me I am happy with a progression. Adding things as I go because while I save money making beer, I enjoy the hobby aspect of it. FWIW, I also said I would never get an IC and would just use snow and brew in the winter...

Reality of it all is that whatever you enjoy doing is the way to go. If you are a constant tinkerer like me then you will probably always be adding or changing things until you are running your own brewery ha! :mug:

Which ever method saves me the most time. Since that's what I don't have a ton of. I'd consider electric if it's faster. But not sure if it is. Plus I can't run a 220 line to my garage easy. And my basement is not an option since its my game room since boiling wort prob isn't good for my pinball machines.

I would be willing to bet electric is faster (that was absolutely my experience), especially noticeable when you step up to the larger batch sizes. Now by how much I am not sure. 30 minutes over a brew session? Who knows because I never got out a stop watch.

One thing I do know is that electric costs a bit more upfront to get you started than a basic turkey fryer set up. In the long run it will pay itself off and is a worthy investment IMO.

It seems like the split spreadsheet was lonely, so I added .25 onto the split for GW-C150. Still contemplating whether I want to get 2 bags of TF-MOPA instead of one....

Back