no bubbles from airlock on secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S_carve

Reaction score
hi everyone, well i just brewing my own beer and for my first kit i used the Orange Brewery SW1 Pale Ale kit. It was setup by my local brew shop and had everything i need. The primary fermentation went by with no problems and was bubbling heavily after the first 24 hours, then slowed by day 4-5. I swapped it over to the secondary at 7 days and it was not bubbling at all. It has been in the carboy for 10 days and i have not seen one bubble out of the airlock, although there is pressure enough to make cap float. There has been some small bubbles and foaming at the top of the beer, and can see some very small bubbles rising. Is this a problem? I have read through homebrewing for dummies and the complete joy of homebrewing but i couldn't find any answers. I started my second batch this time newcastle. It has basically done the same but it has only been in the secondary for 3 days.

Simple: it's not a secondary, it's a clearing or bright tank. Beer only goes through one fermentation, unlike wine which is racked several times during the process. Homebrewers keep calling it a secondary, but you'll never find one in a brewery.

the only reading i took was when the wort was first cooled and both were right on with the directions

david42 that is one thing that definetly remember reading was that the secondary is basically to let all the ingredients to blend together and work with each other

Right, clearing is also part of the aging process, but no fermentation takes place.

david_42 said:
Right, clearing is also part of the aging process, but no fermentation takes place.

so, (i have only just started using a secondary after years of sludgy bottles!)

Rack to secondary after fermentation complete.
This clears the liquid and allows the conditioning to start.
Yeast still existing in liquid but has no food to munch on.

From the bulk prime / bottle priming sugar is added and the yeast has a little munch and carbonates the liquid.

That makes sense to me, but is it correct? Sorry to ask such a basic question :eek:

boo boo said:
This is the right place to ask such a question and yes the process outlined in your previous post is basicaly correct.

Ta. I wish my other 8 cartons of HB were placed in secondarys first now. Still you live and learn.
:mug:

thanks very much guys thats the answer i was hoping for, instead of "you got problems"

and dibby33 put it very simply, i can go with that

S_carve said:
thanks very much guys thats the answer i was hoping for, instead of "you got problems"

and dibby33 put it very simply, i can go with that

Munching is a technical term!

From what I have read and done with beer so far there is very very little that can go wrong. The worst thing (and it has happened to me before) is running out. I took a vow at the start of the year never to let this happen again.
:mug:

well my first batch should be done by dec. 23 and the second new years so i think i'll join you and make that my new years resolution!!

S_carve said:
well my first batch should be done by dec. 23 and the second new years so i think i'll join you and make that my new years resolution!!

Go for it! You can never have too much beer. I have about 9 or 10 cartons in my cellar waiting to be called up for active duty (i.e. sticking them in the fridge)

Latest posts

Back