Two Hearted Ale clone....kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanN

Reaction score
Please help me make the best it can be. Two Hearted Ale is my favorite and I've found nothing that comes close...JMO. The kit instructions say to do the following (I have no reason to doubt these....IBU seems low?)

Type: Extract
Date: 3/26/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Ryan
Boil Size: 2.50 gal
Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 73.94 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 18.48 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.62 %
5.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2.96 %
1.00 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (60 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (30 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.33 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale Ale US-05 Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.84 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 25.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.6 SRM

The following is fitting what I can in the brew pot, slightly higher IBU's. What I want is the closest to the real deal as possible, I'm not trying to improve upon it at all...for my taste, it's perfect.

Type: Extract
Date: 3/26/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Ryan
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 73.94 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 18.48 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.62 %
5.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2.96 %
1.00 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (60 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (30 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (15 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.33 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.84 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 39.8 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.6 SRM

I'm not sure why the calories are obviously off? All I want to do is make this kit the best it can be, nothing more, I have no need to try improve on what's there but I would like to make it to it's highest potential (can you tell I love Two Hearted?).

Lastly my ambient ferment temp will have to be very close to 60 OR 70, basement is cold, main living space is warmer since it's finally warming up.

Any comments or suggestions?

I have no reason to "change" the instructions but I want to give this beer the best chance possible to be the best I've brewed.

Thanks.

I forgot there will be an additional .75 ounces for dry hopping although the instructions are not clear on that?

I'd up those hop additions, my take on Two Hearted has 76 or so IBU's. With 1oz additions of 9.2AA Centennial @ 60/30/15 & 5 mins. I also dry-hop an ounce for 10 days before kegging. This is for a 5 gal batch.

I'd increase the first hop addition to get it up to at least 60 IBU. According to Bells it comes in at 62 IBU, even though it tastes a little higher to me. I'd also up the late addition hopping a little for some more hop flavor, and use at least an ounce for dry hopping. I'd ferment on the colder side for that clean flavor from the yeast, preferably 60-65F.

I'm brewing this as we speak. I got it out of BrewYourOwn magazine. It's exactly the same recipe except mine said to steep with only one gallon of water.

On second look my recipe says to use 0.33oz for dry hopping. And it calls for 0.5lb Crystal and 0.33lb Carapils malt instead of the 8oz carapils in your recipe.

was this recipe the AHS kit? I bought the AHS kit and have it done and carbonated at the moment but am just waiting on a tap in the kegerator to open up before I try it out.

I'm drinking the clone right now, Steinsato it is from AHS. I used 3.25 gallons of water vs. the 2.5 the instructions said to use. Beyond that I followed the instructions exactly and the beer turned out really well. My clone definitely does not taste exactly the same as the Bell's Two Hearted but it's a really good beer. The differences I've noticed are more bitterness in the clone (the extra water may have contributed to this) and less aroma and less hop flavor. Remember, I'm a beginner so any differences in the flavor and aroma compared to the original could be due to a lot of things. Overall I'm very happy with the kit, I brewed a all grain version of the exact same kit last week.

If you use the hop additions I posted earlier you'll end up at around 76IBU's. Also keep in mind also that your homebrew is most likely more fresh than the bottles you pick up at your local supplier so the bitterness and hoppyness will probably be higher than you're used to.

Back