24 inch massive hop pots, and need advice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
I already have more mulch than I need. I plan to mix top soil and mulch 2 parts soil 1 part mulch in each of my massive pots (all from cosco at 19.99 a piece).

So:

Is 2 to 1 ok?

what store bought fert do you reccomend?

:)

mulch goes on the top not in the soil.
if you add mulch to the soil it will depleate all the avalable nitrogen untill it
has been broken down
bactrea use huge amounts of nitrogen and urea to breack down Cellulose and Lignin

so if you put it in there you will need to keep adding lots of nirtogen the first year
both fast acting and slow releasing

I read (and am practicing) that when growing in pots all you need is potting soil. You don't really need anything else to help with drainage because potting soil drains better than normal topsoil and clay you will find in the ground. Also, don't buy the soil (Scott's I think) that has the moisture control crap in it. Then, if your soil is drying out too fast you can put the mulch on top to help hold in more moisture.

You want good drainage but you also want moist soil...

Back