Holy Krausen, Bat Man!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Wow, less than 24 hours later and it's Krausen central burstin' open my Primary Bucket.
I was fortunate to check it first thing this morning (pitched Yeast at 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon) and the lid had actually popped up at one point.
I removed the airlock (what's the point at this stage, right) and aloud a long siiiigh of relief i.e. more lovely foam. I also resealed the lid.

Besides getting the mess cleaned up, will I be safe enough to leave the airlock off for the time being, allowing the krausen to be released, without a high risk of infection?

This is by far the most action I've ever seen from a brew, and hoping it turns out.

Time to go glass from now one...

Cheers,
J

Someone needs to sell a bucked lid with two different grommeted holes: one that's airlock size, and one larger one for a blowoff tube. You just shove a stopper in the one you're not using.

What is your batch size? Your bucket probably holds about 6.5 gallons...that'd be a pretty vigorous ferment from a 5 gallon batch.

And I agree: you're probably OK having the airlock off if it's really pumping out the CO2 and kreusen, but you'd want it back on there ASAP. That's why the blowoff hose works better for this situation: you still have liquid in the blowoff jar serving as an airlock.

cweston said:
Someone needs to sell a bucked lid with two different grommeted holes: one that's airlock size, and one larger one for a blowoff tube. You just shove a stopper in the one you're not using.

The grommets in bucket lids can usually be removed. After that, a larger diameter tuble can be inserted for a blow-off tube. Fits nice and snug and works great. My tubing isn't marked or I would post the exact size needed.

After the pressure dies down, the grommet and an air lock can be put back in place.

Joe

Heh, At least yours just made a little Mess..I made an IPA 2 weeks ago the yeast was packaged Wed, I made the starter friday (fresh yeast FTW) Pitched it around 2PM saturday and about midnight (with a blowoff tube) there was a loud pop in the house.. The lid was in the middle of the room, and there was foam all over the ceiling and walls.

cweston said:

What is your batch size? Your bucket probably holds about 6.5 gallons...that'd be a pretty vigorous ferment from a 5 gallon batch.

And I agree: you're probably OK having the airlock off if it's really pumping out the CO2 and kreusen, but you'd want it back on there ASAP. That's why the blowoff hose works better for this situation: you still have liquid in the blowoff jar serving as an airlock.

You can always just figure out the proper size of some tubing that will fit in your airlock hole - that's what I do. I believe it is 3/8 OD, but I'm just pulling that out of my ass.

I always put a blow off tube whenever I think I beer has a possibility of having a very vigorous ferment, e.g. all higher gravity beers, those done with a starter, pitched on previous krausen, or wheat beers.

You're fine with the airlock out. People tend to forget that you aren't ever fermenting in lab conditions. You're never sterile. You're just trying to outcompete other organisms with desirable ones. You're doing that very successfully ;)

Just replace it when the ferment dies down...shouldn't take long from the sounds of it.

Cheers :D

budbo said:
Heh, At least yours just made a little Mess..I made an IPA 2 weeks ago the yeast was packaged Wed, I made the starter friday (fresh yeast FTW) Pitched it around 2PM saturday and about midnight (with a blowoff tube) there was a loud pop in the house.. The lid was in the middle of the room, and there was foam all over the ceiling and walls.

Another member of the Mop The Ceiling club.........:D

As always, thanks for the opinions.

I have just never seen SO much action:rockin:

Also used me homemead wort chiller for the first time. 18 minutes and I was at 78degress. :tank:

Back