% attenuation or FG causes dryness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to work this out in my head and I can't seem to come to a conclusion. Is "dryness" in a brew more caused by a higher attenuation or a lower FG? I know these two things often go hand in hand. For example, does brew 1 taste drier because of higher attenuation, or do they have a similar mouth feel in terms of dryness because they have the same FG?

..............OG..........FG........Aparent Attenuation
Brew 1...1.100.......1.020..........80%
Brew 2...1.060.......1.020..........66%

Dryness is the opposite of sweetness. FG is an indication of residual sugars, but ABV also plays a part, as does the composition of the residual (caramel vs wheat protein).

If the two examples had exactly the same grain bill by weight %, then the first one will be dryer.

ok, that answers my question. I guess I knew FG played a big part in it, and my question was if it was the only thing that mattered or if attenuation would affect it too. Sounds good, thanks.

Back