vacuum packaging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
I'm looking ahead to this year's harvest with great anticipation. I plan to purchase a vacuum packer and want to get the most out of the plants and possibly do some trading over the winter. I'm looking to buy a sealer that will last and want the "light barrier" material similar to what I buy hops in now. My plan is to harvest, dry, and place in the light barrier vacuum packed bags in 1 oz. increments.

I'm wondering what sealers people are using and also if anyone is using the light barrier type bags/material and where these things are purchased. If I had experience in this area I would definately start working on a wiki as the subject is going to get hot this year!! TIA

I'm using a FoodSaver for my hops and other uses. I've had it a couple of years with no problems.
I don't use light block bags, and I'm not sure where to find some. However my hops are stored in a chest freezer so light exposure is minimal.

Craig

Why do you need a light barrier? You need to put the sealed hops in the freezer anyway. It's dark in there.

BTW I bought a foodsaver too. I got one on sale for $40-couldn't pass that up!

I have a big one... foodsaver... was $200 with a bunch of accessories. Light Barrier bags are only good if you are putting them on a shelf for sale or if they are not going to be sitting in a freezer until use.

CBBaron - What size bags do you use for storing one ounce of dried leaf hops? Or do you just work off of a roll bag? Ive only used pint/quart sized bags but also have gallon sized ones and rolls. (I think 11" roll)

The comments on light barrier make sense. I guess for display purposes would be the only logical reason to package them this way. It also sounds like people are having success with just about any old packer. I'll be kepping an eye out for a deal starting exactly.........NOW!! Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Back