A few questions??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acesb422

Reaction score
i want to try cheesehead's ccva and I am wondering what the heck is the lactose that you use and where can you get it, brand names and things, and also is the caramel 60l the same as crystal 60L i think it is. Also, Is is too hard of a beer to do if it is only my 4th or 5th batch??? Thanks:mug:

Lactose should be available at any homebrew supply shop.

I haven't brewed the CCVA, but I'm a vanilla nut, and I've been meaning to. I don't think it would be a difficult brew for you.

I picked up everything Sat for mine at Beer Essentials kin Tacoma WA. Well, everything except the vanilla which my wife found at the darn dollar store. Only ingredients are alcohol and vanilla bean casings.

acesb422 said:
i want to try cheesehead's ccva and I am wondering what the heck is the lactose that you use and where can you get it, brand names and things, and also is the caramel 60l the same as crystal 60L i think it is. Also, Is is too hard of a beer to do if it is only my 4th or 5th batch??? Thanks:mug:

Lactose is an unfermentable milk based sugar, I get mine at NB

Caramel & Crystal are one in the same

What about the hops? I have been ordering my stuff from AHS and they don't have any hops that i need. Does that northern brewer have all the hops they have listed or what??

Also, does everyone recommend using a secondary for his beer, or is it just personal preference like all others?? I am excited even my wife thinks it sounds good!!

You are lucky, I have to brew this so often, I have created a shopping list for it.

Below are all the item numbers and quantity to order from Northern Brewer.

#20153 Briess Pilsen DME (Dry Malt Extract) 3.0#
#20143 Briess Wheat DME (Dry Malt Extract) 3.0#
#G013C Briess Caramel 60L CRUSHED 1.0#
#HP13 Cascade Pellets 1 oz.
#HP11 Saaz Pellets .5 oz
#HP09 German Tettnang Pellets .5 oz
#Y1007 Wyeast German Ale (1007) 1
#7316 Muslin Mesh Grain/Hop Bag 1
#20151 Briess Pilsen DME (Priming DME) 1.0#
#9037 Lactose 1 lb.
#7220 Plain Gold Caps - 144 ct 1
#7013 24 Beer Bottles 12 oz. 2

The only things not listed here are the vanilla and the water. Vanilla you can get at your local mega mart.

I know a lot of folks want to cut down on the lactose and the vanilla. Don't do it the first time you brew it. Do it the second if you need.

Hope this helps.

Gedvondur

I think that is one of those classic issues that cause all kinds of consternation between home brewers.

Personally, I always use a secondary to clear. I like the results I get that way. That being said, a lot of people don't use secondaries and don't see a need.

I say this to you: Try it both ways. If the beer is clear enough for you without a secondary, then don't worry about it.

If you are asking me, I say use a secondary. I dare say you are not necessarily going to get a straight answer over the course of this thread, however.

Gedvondur

I understand what you are saying. I am going to be doing a stout before this brew, and I guess i need to buy a carboy anyway, so I guess I will just buy one.

Here is another question, If i used all Light DME , instead of 3 of light and 3 of Wheat, would it be a clearer beer?? And what would it do to the taste???? Also, what if you used a light crystal would that affect the caramel taste???

I dare say you are not necessarily going to get a straight answer over the course of this thread
Where I'd bet the "over" and guess there'll be at least two straight answers -- polar opposite, but straight answers each.

:tank:

Rick

acesb422 said:
I understand what you are saying. I am going to be doing a stout before this brew, and I guess i need to buy a carboy anyway, so I guess I will just buy one.

Here is another question, If i used all Light DME , instead of 3 of light and 3 of Wheat, would it be a clearer beer?? And what would it do to the taste???? Also, what if you used a light crystal would that affect the caramel taste???

Well, if you use DME instead of wheat DME, it might be clearer, but then it won't be a beer with wheat in it. So it will change the taste, the look, and the texture a bit. A lighter crystal will also affect the taste some.

I am not trying to be difficult I am just trying to get a grasp on all of the different ingredients, because I would like to try to make something that is my own and get away from the extracts!!

acesb422 said:
I am not trying to be difficult I am just trying to get a grasp on all of the different ingredients, because I would like to try to make something that is my own and get away from the extracts!!

There is an all-grain recipe posted, too, if you don't want to do an extract batch.

I would like to try to make something that is my own
Making something of your own is all well and good, but you started the thread saying you wanted to try a particular recipe. If you change it dramatically it won't be that recipe anymore, so you won't be trying that recipe. Swapping out the wheat will change it dramatically.

and get away from the extracts!!
Not sure how swapping the wheat for light DME gets you away from extracts. A common path would be to move to a partial mash (what I intend to do down the road) then go all grain.

Rick

I recommend this vanilla:
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysdoublestrengthvanilla.html

It's double strength, so you can use half as much. It's not cheap, but it's the good stuff. You can spend less to get a container of single-strength or a smaller bottle, but we make a lot of VCCA...so I got the big bottle.

Also if you bake between batches of homebrew, this vanilla is delightful for that as well.

I put 10 gallons of this in secondary this afternoon. Looks wonderful with a final gravity of 1.014. I used the vanilla from Costco. It was about 6 or 8 bucks for a full 16 ounces - 35% alcohol as well. Same ingredients as the bottle my wife got from the dollar store, I just trust Costco quality better than Dollar Tree.

Latest posts

Back