The Common Beer Drinker...Does this happen to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerDog

Reaction score
I cant drink Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors light and most non micro brews, except Sam Adams , that is pretty good stuff.

The Change was made when I drank my first Paulaner after a friend kept raving about this wheat beer from Germany after a trip. Now I hate regular beers, but I find that a lot of people especially my inlaws always make comments about why I dont drink regular beer. I usually state that I dont like water flavored beer with alcohol added to it. I am not a beer snob, but I cant stand junk beer, its like eating Burger King over tenderloin steak .

Do your inlaws all drive Gremlins?

[Historical note for you youngsters: for much of its bleak history, the AMC gremlin was the cheapest car in the US.]

I've been called a beer snob and i don't deny it, i wear it like a badge. I am a proud beer snob. I want a beer that isn't made by just a machine. I want a beer that has Barley and Hops. I want a beer that has FLAVOR most of all.

The closest thing to BMC I will drink is Yuengling, JW Dundees Honey Lager, or on the rare occasion Steel Reserve. Most of the time however I refrain from anything that isn't either Mine, something I haven't tried, or a good craft brew.

I will MAKE people pour their beer, i get called a snob. I make them drink Ale's warmer than lagers, i get called a snob. I call BMC watery piss, i get called a snob. Wear it as a badge of honor, say it loud, say it proud.

I AM A BEER SNOB AND DAMNIT I LOVE BEING A BEER SNOB!:mug:

Beer is like sex, or pizza. Even when its bad it's still pretty good.

I'm not going to choose to drink BMC if there are other options, but if I'm at a buddys house and he has bud light I'm not going to turn up my nose...

I probably am less of a snob now then before I started to homebrew. I just picked up a 30 pack of Miller High Life to fill out the fridge. I find that I can enjoy all beers for how they are now.

I still can't drink Budweiser though. It still goes right through me like my insides are the Autobahn.

somecallmetim said:
I'm not going to choose to drink BMC if there are other options, but if I'm at a buddys house and he has bud light I'm not going to turn up my nose...

That's how I feel too. I wasn't always a beer connaisseur. I used the drink the same stuff that my friends drink now. Like most people here, I drink my own most of the time and buy the really good stuff to supplement it. But to turn your nose up and insult someone else's brew is really tacky, IMO.

I can still enjoy a macrobrew from time to time and just enjoy it for what it is. It's kind of like having a glass of Kool-Aid instead of pure fruit juice. It is what it is. Maybe it's my working class upbringing, but I'm not above anything.

somecallmetim said:

That's me too. I'll drink what you have at your house and won't complain about it.

adx said:
I probably am less of a snob now then before I started to homebrew. I just picked up a 30 pack of Miller High Life to fill out the fridge. I find that I can enjoy all beers for how they are now.

I still can't drink Budweiser though. It still goes right through me like my insides are the Autobahn.

Ditto and ditto...

Miller Genuine Draft is my weekend beer when I am going to have several, or when I am not going to sit down and really enjoy a beer.

Smithwicks has become another favorite.

I have never been able to drink Bud.

Yup, ditto...

I never turn down a beer unless it hot and in a can and if it came from the bottom of the row-boat! :D

BMC - is not bad. Just plain!! I've been known to drink Silver-Bullets out on the lake in my buddy's boat. At 95'F anything wet tastes good!!

Plain beer is just boring. I had a Guiness Draft (In the Bottle) a few weekends ago.... The damn stuff is like drinking watered down stout. It kind of pissed me off because it was something like $6.50 Damn stuff was awefull. I had to choke it down with a 16oz cajun prime rib.

We've all corrupted ourselves!!!!!

:mug:

david_42 said:
Do your inlaws all drive Gremlins?

[Historical note for you youngsters: for much of its bleak history, the AMC gremlin was the cheapest car in the US.]

In high school, my best friend owned two Gremlins. Two!

Not an impressive vehicle, although with two you can usually expect at least one to start. The only good thing I can say about them, is they went faster in reverse than any other car I've ridden in. By far. Oh, one other nice thing, the backseat could be used for an icechest. (We drilled drain holes...we weren't stupid!)

somecallmetim said:

I am all for a good quality beer, but my tastes are not the same as my neighbors or friends. So if they are providing the beer who am I to turn up my nose.

OK, unless its Bud. If its Bud I'm a total beer snob. I think its a crime that they even get to call that stuff beer. :cross:

somecallmetim said:

Yeah, that's pretty much me, too, except my friends are more likely to offer me a Pabst.

somecallmetim said:

Agreed..

However if everyone is at my house I may be serving porters or IPAs. And if someone likes Bud light or prefers it over what I consider a better beer, that's fine with me too.

The wife said just the other night.. You know I can't stand to drink Miller llite anymore
after drink the HB.. it has no taste :)

I AM A BEER SNOB!!! (there, I said it...)

But, I know I am. Have been for years. I know what I like.

I haven't had a Bud, Miller, or Coors (except Blue Moon) product since February 1975.

I lived in Germany the first time for 4 years, and the second for 5 years. I've drunk my way across almost every country in Europe and back again.

I know American beer is not to my liking, neither is ice cold beer. I've even asked for a beer if they had a case in the back that has not been refrigerated as well as "can you put tha (ice cold beer) in the microwave for 30 seconds for me? Thanks.

I never drink beer out of a bottle, can or plastic cup. I always pour it in a glass. Beer is meant to be seen and appreciated as well as allowing it to breathe the open air...

I do serve beer in their proper glasses. I rarely use a glass a second time (re-fills) unless I rinse it out first. And yes, even when dispensing out of my trunk at the local picnics I bring along a case of glasses. :D

I will try locally brewed beers at pubs, brewhouses, etc., and will comment when requesting a Weizen and asked if I want it in a big glass? I say that's the only size they come in. ;)

I don't like overly hoppy brews either, no IPAs here.

I will turn down any beer offered that I don't like. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. (I wouldn't offer you cauliflower a second time if I offered once and learned you didn't like it. ;))

I'm sure there's more....

Depends on what's happening at the time. Relaxing at my place or a buddy's house, probally going to be a good homebrew or micro brew.

Doing some sort of physical activities outdoors in 100 degree weather, coors light is my go-to beer in that case. No sense wasting perfectly good beer if you're just going to sweat it all out.

Also, if I'm enjoying multiple beers (some call this binge drinking), I'll have the good stuff the first 2 or 3 but then I'll trade off to other lesser beers. After the buzz hits, no sense in drinking the expensive stuff when cheap beer is available.

All this is assuming I have some sort of choices and options.

Before I brewed, I was a "beer connoisseur"...I work at a craft beer retail shop, I'd read tons of books on beer, and was sure that mass-produced Light American Lager was the devil. When I started brewing, this sentiment was exacerbated by how easy it seemed to be to produce great beer that was vastly superior to that stuff that got sold for pennies at the supermarket. But as time went on, I got a lagerator...and I brewed a pilsner. It was damn hard to get that right...and I got to thinking how difficult it really would be to recreate a BMC. I mean, hell, it's on BYO's list of most difficult styles to brew.

And so in time, I began to realize that I was viewing BMC/light american lager in the wrong light. I was viewing it as a quality of beer, rather than a distinct style of beer. But once I really thought about it, I realized that it deserves its place in the list of styles like anything else. Is it my favorite style? Not by a long shot. Are some better than others? Drink a PBR and a Miller Lite side by side, and you'll know the answer. And so where I stand today is, yes, I am a beer snob in that I like good beer...but I realize that light american lager is, in some cases, well-made beer, and it is a style of its own. It has its place, and it's not the devil.

Schlenkerla said:
Yup, ditto...

I never turn down a beer unless it hot and in a can and if it came from the bottom of the row-boat! :mug:

Apperently you've never been four days deep in the most isolated whitewater in the lower 48, with nothin' but warm BMC, cause it can hit the spot!:D

I've been drinking micros since the term was invented, homebrewing for many years, favorite beer is a chart topping IPA (bitterness that is), but right now,out in my keezer, next to four kegs of HB and one of Apfelwine, is a half rack of

Pabst Blue Ribbon,.....cans.

Call it a palette cleanser, or.... a way to put things in perspective, but every once in a while.......

You can make a difference…

My friend has a lot of get-togethers at his house and he has a huge stock of Bud products in commercial coolers in his bar.

The last time, I decided to invest in some craft beer (6 of a local Pale Ale, 6 of Boulevard Wheat, 6 of local Octoberfest). I brought the beer over and threw it in his fridge.

About an hour later, there are about 9 or 10 of us standing around the outdoor fireplace and I look around. Four people are drinking one of the crafts I brought along. I seized the opportunity to ask them how they liked the beer…etc..etc…

Next thing you know, everyone in the “circle” is getting and earful about “rice beer”, fusel alcohol, mass production of flavorless, flawless beer, German purity laws…etc…etc…

By night’s end, the craft beer was gone and for a $20.00 investment, I think I was able to enlighten a few people about beer appreciation.

Next time…it’s going to be case of my homebrew…

I am a beer snob yes. I like my beer in a room temperature, or maybe slightly chilled glass. I like beer with body and flavor. However, I do appreciate the american lager style for what it is. I still have the occasional BMC. However, the one thing I can no longer drink is light (or lite) beer. The stuff is just god awful to me. The local bar I go to on rare occasion for a long time had no good beer (they recently got newcastle). So for the longest time I would go there and drink Miller Lite. Then as time passed and my palet became more advanced, I went down one night and they were out of newcastle, so I got the ole Miller Lite like I used to drink and I could barely finish it. I just cant do it anymore. If it is no beer or light beer, I am inclined to not drink. If it was not drinking, or a Bud, I would take the Bud.

Hey Guys,

Well I just started homebrewing, but I wouldn't call myself a snob. I love and I do mean love all types of beers. I can go from an India Pale Ale to and Espresso Stout, glass to glass. Some of my buddies have picked up on it and enjoy it as well. Enjoying a beer with a little bit more taste and a little less water.

My analogy: I am a classically trained chef. Love to cook for cooking's sake.

But, DAYYUM, Ima loves In N Out burger!!!:D

So, when I go out and I have the choice, I'll scour the beer list. If all they have is ____ & ___ light, I'll have a lemonade, please. If I'm at your house and you offer me Cure's Light on a friggin' hot So Cal day, "Thank you, sir, may I have another???!!!"

My $0.02

that's right. a beer is a beer is a beer. No matter in a can, a bottle, or a glass. thats why we are here reading and responding. Beer is Good.

Back