Who's brewing today? (9-21)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No brewing for me this weekend. I have brewed the last three weekends and SWMBO is starting to raise an eyebrow to me. Instead I racked my Anchor Liberty ale to its secondary, bottled my IIPA that I brewed in June, and installed a weldless fitting and ball valve onto my new keggle. All cleaned up and ready for a mountain bike ride!

Greg

All done. OG two points high. This is the first ferment in the old kegger, now the fermentation cabinet. Works much better when plugged into the controller.

ohiobrewtus said:
I put the ordinary bitter to bed with an OG of 1.040. Pitched it on a yeast cake and attached a mondo blowoff tube. It should be kicking and screaming by the time I wake up in the morning.

I just did a bitter much like yours. Came in at 1.041(on target) and used fuggles and EKG. It has been bottled for 5 days and it is the clearest beer I've brewed yet . I can't wait to taste it.:rockin:

I brewed a couple of kits this weekend(forgot how easy those are) for samples at a Teach a friend to Homebrew Day.

Weighing out my grains now

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.54 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.36 %
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2.59 %
0.25 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 2.59 %
0.15 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 1.55 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.25 oz Black Peppercorn (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.25 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 10.36 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Saison II Ale (White Labs #WLP566) Yeast-Ale

ohiobrewtus said:
I'm planning on mashing at 150-152 for 60 min in my cooler/MLT (so no multi step or mash out).

What does this mean, with a rubbermaid mlt you don't need to mash out, why?

Mashing in in about 30 minutes I think, if I can get off my butt and get the rest of my equipment setup.

Time for a pumpkin ale loosely based on RichBrewer's recipe, at request of my girlfriend. I'm always skeptical about pumpkin ales, so I figure its time to prove myself wrong. =)

-D

GrundleCruncher said:
What does this mean, with a rubbermaid mlt you don't need to mash out, why?

He means that you can't exactly put a cooler on heat to do multi-step mashes. I figured out that if you have 10 or so pounds of grain, you can do a mashout step by adding 1 gallon of boiling water. Takes it to just below 170. That is a way to get the mashout step into a MLT cooler. Then sparge with 1 gallon less water.

Back