5 weeks in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colin985

Reaction score
Hey sorry for the noob question... I've had a honey brown ale in the secondary for 5 weeks (Been busy with life this time of year and been trying to find enough time to get bottles clean that I got from a bottle depot). Theres no activity in the airlock. Should I repitch yeast before botteling or should I be alright to just prime and bottle? Thanks a lot for any help.

Prime and bottle...some of the yeast will have settled out so it might take a little longer than normal to fully carb but you are good to go.

I also am in the same situation. I have a honey porter that's been in the secondary for about 5 weeks as well. My concern was to either prime with honey or use the priming sugar. I am curious how your's comes out. Since this is my first made up from scratch recipe using Brewr on my phone. Looking forward to this coming out after a few weeks in the bottle.
Good luck and hope it turns out!

What % ABV did you end up with? I'm assuming that this is somewhere in the 5-6.5% range. I know stuff over like 8% that has been in the secondary for a month or two might have have trouble carbonating since the yeast is slightly stressed and has flocculated out a fair amount. I would probably only pitch yeast at bottling if it was closer to 10% with a long secondary.

I think you'll be fine with just priming and bottling as usual if this is an average ABV beer.

The yeast has been sleeping for awhile so use priming sugar like normal and then keep it at 70F for a month before testing one.

Thanks guys... I got it bottled... I'm gonna let it sit for a few extra weeks... I'll probably end up trying one at three weeks just to see how its doing then go from there.. Thanks again for the help though...cheers!

Back