Dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Reaction score
I am getting ready to keg. I only did a primary fermentation so there is a good bed of yeast on the base of my Carboy. Are there precautions I need to take with my auto siphon to avoid that gunk at the bottom? Techniques?

Te

Did your autosiphon come with a black removable tip at the bottom end? This part is very helpful at reducing the amount of yeast that gets sucked up into the siphon. Also, the slower you draw from your vessel into the keg reduces the chance for yeast to get sucked up due to decreased vacuum. I also hold the autosiphon up to keep it off the bottom a little bit.

Hope this is helpful.

Another helpfull little piece is the clip made to atach the autosiphon to the side of the fermenter. That way you have both hands free for other duties.

Yes it has the black tip. Thanks. I'm getting excited to taste it!

Another helpfull little piece is the clip made to atach the autosiphon to the side of the fermenter. That way you have both hands free for other duties.

I tried that, and my autosiphon keeps slipping through it and resting on the bottom of the vessel. I don't use mine too often anymore due to fermentors with spigots, but use it occasionally. Just easier to hang on to it and adjust it during the siphon.

A chip clip or clothespin or anything like that can be clamped to the tube and just rest on the mouth of the carboy if you don't have that specialized clip.

That's a good one! See,everything does work if ya let it! Or line the inside of the tube part of the clip with masking tape till it tightens up. Masking tape will dry out like concrete.

Back