Forgot to clean out mash tun, how to dispose the mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVarmy

Reaction score
Well, I did something really stupid. Last time I brewed, I forgot to throw out the spent grains!

Anyway, I came back to find them moldy, as moist, carbohydrate-laced mixtures are wont to do, and smelling like a landfill. My initial reaction was to cover it in Oxyclean Free and pour hot water on top.

Now the Oxyclean is going to work on eating the mold, and I think the mash tun can be saved. I plan on giving it a few more oxyclean baths and a few thorough rinse. However, I just realized I did this without knowing how to get rid of the Oxyclean-Grain mixture. In retrospect, I should have thrown out the solids first.

It's too wet and heavy to go in the garbage can, and I'd dump it in the woods near my backyard, but I'm worried Oxyclean Free will reap environmental havoc. The MSDS sheet only says that the Oxyclean solution is "not hazardous waste," but that describes a good number of things that I wouldn't want to pour in my backyard!

Any ideas?

Well, I followed your advice and dumped it in the back yard. We're due to reseed anyway.

You hate the environment. If Al Gore ever gets Saint Peter's job one day, you're definitely going to hell.

(joking, joking...)

I think double bath in Oxyclean and a bleach bath followed by several rinses should more than adequate.

I did the same thing a couple months ago, and after having the grains sit in there for 5 days i went to clean it out and what a smell it was. I soaked it in oxyclean many times over the next week without any luck. After all that work i figured it would just be easier to get a new cooler. You could try the bleach that others mentioned. Good luck and let us know if you find anything that works.

Chromados

I did the same thing a couple months ago, and after having the grains sit in there for 5 days i went to clean it out and what a smell it was. I soaked it in oxyclean many times over the next week without any luck. After all that work i figured it would just be easier to get a new cooler. You could try the bleach that others mentioned. Good luck and let us know if you find anything that works.

Chromados

Same thing here. Not my mash tun but an ice chest I dumped the grain from my first batch in on a double brew day. Forgot about it for a week. That ice chest is done. repeated bleach/oxy clean can't get rid of the smell.

My neighbor won't clean up after her dog so her yard smells like ****. So, I in turn apply a little of my own fertilizer and dump piles of spent grain out in a semi-shaded area right next to her back patio. A LOVELY aroma ensues.

FWIW - we have all forgotten to clean out the tun so no harm done. Some oxiclean and some sani-clean and you are good to go.

This seems to be one of those things you read where you say to yourself "How can anyone forget to clean out the mash tun", but I've forgot once. While I wouldn't have wanted to dump it near my back door, I did dump it on the compost pile where it normally goes. The smell went away rather quickly. I did have to soak it in bleach to kill the smell in the tun though.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I had a smelly tun and a baking soda soak really did the trick. It seems great after that, and I followed up with soem Oxi-clean the next day just to make sure. It's drying out right now, but it smells great so far.

I usually throw mine in the compost heap as well. I imagine in your case some bleach and oxy will clean it up, however if you have a bazooka tube or stainless braid in it you may want to replace that thing lol.

some tomato sauce will help rid you of the smell if some lingers btw... If one turn of bleach wont do it tomato sauce it up

Latest posts

Back