Fermentation Re-Start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatMac

Reaction score
I have a fermenting dunkelweizen.

It showed visible signs of fermentation after about 48 hours and continued to do so for about three days. It then stopped which I thought was completely normal and didn't think anything of it.

This was when a cold front came through and the house got significantly colder for a few days. It just started fermenting again about a week and a half after when the temperature warmed back up.

The temperature probably got down to the 50s at some points during the day when no one was home - my bad for not getting a heater to keep the wort warmer!

My question is - will this "double start" fermentation have any affect on the final flavor?

Just because you dont see bubbles doesnt mean its done fermenting. When the gravity reading is steady for at least 2-3 days then its done and ready for bottling or prebottle aging. Its possible to reinvigorate the yeast by placing the brew into its ideal temp.

So in my opinion Id say it wont effect the flavor of your beer in a negative way. Good luck & happy brewing! :mug:

Back