Cloudy beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooty

Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing, first batch is in the fermenter. This isn't necessarily about homebrewing, but my neighbor just gave me a new IPA from New Belgium and when I poured it in a glass I noticed that it was cloudy. Is that yeast that I'm looking at or sediment from the wort? Don't they normally filter the beer? My neighbor's family owns a large distributor in town and the beer hasn't been released on the market yet so maybe it was a small test batch that they didn't filter? Just curious

Could be from dry hopping. Maybe they used wheat and did a belgian/IPA.

I'm really interested in how it was. What did you think of this beer? What was it called and what did it say about the beer on the label?

It's called Ranger India Pale Ale. It has a brown and pale green label. It was very hoppy and since I'm not a big fan of really hoppy beers I can't give you a real opinion on the taste. The description on the bottle reads: "Are you a hopinista? Thank our beer rangers for inspiring (and begging for) this well balanced Simcoe, Cascade, and Chinook hopped IPA. 70 IBUs."

Cool. I just found this online:

Ever met a New Belgium Beer Ranger? They are our beloved folks out in the field. Spanning all 26 of our states from the Pacific to the Atlantic, our Beer Rangers do their best to protect, to pour and to partake. And explore many a beer from many a brewery, they do. The fellows up in the Northwest kept calling for “more hops!” Soon it became a common theme across the land. Rangers, fans and craft lovers everywhere were searching for hoppier beers.

So, here it finally is – New Belgium’s foray into the true American India Pale Ales. Bring out the hops! This clear amber beauty bursts at the starting gate with an abundance of hops: Cascade (citrus), Chinook (floral/citrus), and Simcoe (fruity) lead off the beer, with Cascade added again for an intense dry hop flavor. Brewed with pale and dark caramel malts that harmonize the hop flavor from start to finish, Ranger is a sessionable splendor for all you hopinistas. Thank your Beer Ranger!

70 IBUs
6.5% ABV

Coming to where good beer is served and sold February 1, 2010!

Dry hopping causes hop polyphenols to create a haze. Ironically though, the website says it's a clear amber.

It had particles floating around in it large enough for me to see with the naked eye.

It had particles floating around in it large enough for me to see with the naked eye.

This leads me to believe it was bottle conditioned. Was there a layer of yeast sediment at the bottom?

Back