Aluminum Stock pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburkh

Reaction score
Any one see a problem with using an aluminum stock pot? It's much cheaper than steel. I have a 20 qt I got for $25.

This is an old debate.

Mostly your OK, there is some concern about Aluminum leeching in to the wort, won't hurt the beer, but there are some ( lot?) who say that it's not good for you.

that said I just bought a 32 qt Aluminum pot, so go figure...

jburkh said:
Any one see a problem with using an aluminum stock pot? It's much cheaper than steel. I have a 20 qt I got for $25.

There are a few people who say aluminum is bad..however if properly cared for it will do just fine. If you are planning on 5G batches, with a full boil you would need something in the range of 7 G pot. 5G would be good if you are planning on doing a partial boil of about 3 G (and top of fermentor with about 2 G of cold water)as this will leave plenty of room in the pot to prevent boilovers.

You can do a search on aluminum here -and am sure this put any fears of to rest.

Cheera.

yeah, I suppose for an extra $75 I could save myself the heightened risk of Alzheimer's, but for now I'll be cheap with my mind as long as the beer tastes good.

That ONE study turned out to be lab contamination. The samples didn't actually have any aluminum in them. However, it will live on the Internet as long as the human race exists.

I'd be more concerned about pot size, although it's big enough for extract partial boils.

david_42 said:
That ONE study turned out to be lab contamination. The samples didn't actually have any aluminum in them. However, it will live on the Internet as long as the human race exists.

I'd be more concerned about pot size, although it's big enough for extract partial boils.

just like TubGirl...

Well, I just picked up a 30qt (7.5 gallon) Stainless pot at Walmart for $30. I found it in a beat up box near the turkey fryers outside. It even came with a thermometer and lid. Sure, it's not commercial kitchen quality, but I'll probably use it 5 times a year at most.

Also note, those turkey fryers also have a 30qt pot (although aluminum) for only $37. This is cool if you don't have a big enough burner on your stove.

Bobby

Back