Are hops Dried and Cured?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I was just curious as to whether or not hops are generally cured.

I know they can be used fresh, but for storage purposes, are hops dried and cured?

If so, how is this accomplished?

I dry mine out in paper bag, but a lot of people use old screens to put all their hops on to dry them out. Then put them in some sort of airtight bag (used the SWMBO's foodsaver) and then put them in the freezer.

Depends, go to the lambic forum there is a thread about aging hops for that particular breed of beer... I guess it depends on what types of beers you're trying to do.. :D There's more than one way to skin a cat..

What do you mean by 'curing'? Like loading it up with salt, like you do with meat? Hops are just dried.

What do you mean by 'curing'? Like loading it up with salt, like you do with meat? Hops are just dried.

No "curing" is to keep plants and herbs of many varieties from turning brown and losing their potency as they dry. It will usually consist of say a rubbermaid or similar airtight container that would have the lid removed and the plant material tossed to allow fresh air in every couple of days. This basically keeps everything green and moist without causing a loss of potency or brownig and rotting of the material.

Put them in a big box and blow hot air through them:

2113-img_0999.jpg

Back