Alternative hops for hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadicalEd

Reaction score
So with the recent heat wave that hit a couple days ago, I've been thinking it's about time to brew up a hefe. Looking around the place, I find 2 row, wheat malt, and crystal 40. Looking in the back of the fridge, I noticed a couple bottles of washed hefe yeast from a prior season, which is now contentedly fermenting a starter.

Which takes me to hops--I've got a fair number of them on hand, but no noble German varieties. Being too lazy to make a trip to the store, and thinking it might make for an interesting experiment, what do you think of using any of these hops for a hefe?

Cascades
Centennial
Millennium
EKG
Northern Brewer
Columbus

I've got a ton of the EKG, Cascades, and NB left over from a couple harvests ago, ans since they're starting to lose their potency, ideas with them are especially valued!

You really should go with noble hops. IMHO, a hefe with those sounds pretty funky. The only exception I'd go with is the Northern Brewer. If you have enough of that, you should be able to make a tasty hefe.

Out of the top list, Northern Brewer or East Kent Golding. I wouldn't use citrusy hops in a hefeweizen. I've used Fuggle quite a few times with excellent results...EKG is softer, but I think it would still work. NB may be a little too spicy, but still better than the other options.

Thanks a bunch fellas,

I'll go with NB then, and report back later :D.

I actually like Cascades in my Citrus Wheat, but that's more of an American Wheat, not a Hefeweizen. It actually works very well, but just don't put a ton it or you'll get more a grapefruit taste. If you're looking at making a more traditional hefe, then the EKG or NB would be my choice.

Back