Extremely Watery IPA - Dogfish Head Clone [UPDATE]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minger

Reaction score
OK guys, two weeks ago, I made this post

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/extremely-watery-ipa-dogfish-head-60min-clone-112010/

To summarize, I tried a BYO Magazine Dogfish Head 60min IPA clone. After a standard 1wk Primary - 2wk Secondary/Dry Hop - 3wk Bottle the beer, while had great taste, was unfortunately was extremely watery with little mouthfeel. The wateryness completely masked the bitterness you could barely taste underneath.

Well, two weeks later let me say that I am now happy with the beer!!! My pour is surprisingly cloudy. For being completely stagnant for two straight weeks, it is almost hefe cloudy. When held to the light, the red hues have decreased a lot, with orange being the dominant color.

The taste is definately IPA. Unfortunately, the hop substitutions that were necessary make this most certainly not a Dogfish Head 90min clone. While all the bitterness of a great IPA is there, there are more citruslike notes that I would really like. Having said that, the floral notes are quite refreshing.

The carbonation is right on cue. There's enough such that it doesn't appear flat, yet not enough to overpower the taste. As this first one goes down, the lacing is spectacular and.....and this baby has a little kick.

I really can't believe those two weeks had such a huge difference.

Back