I want to add cherry puree to my chocolate stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkestdays

Reaction score
I'm going to go with the Oregon brand cherry puree in the 3 LB can. Is one can sufficient enough to flavor 5 gallons of beer? I plan on adding this to my secondary and racking on top of it. I expect fermentation to start up again, due to the sugars in the fruit. How long should I let it sit in secondary before bottling, and how much can I expect the alcohol content to rise?

I recently added a 3lb can to 3 gallons of chocolate stout and the flavor barely comes through. I am hoping it will come out a bit more with age...but I would say a single can will not impart a strong flavor at all to 5 gallons.

Man, if I need two cans, this will be the most expensive beer I've ever made! Will all this fit in a five gallon carboy (Might be a six gallon carboy, because there is a decent amount of head space)?

You won't need much headspace if the only sugars being fermented are the fruits. But you are adding over half gallon of fruit...so keep that in mind.

I had blow off in my secondary whem I brewed a cherry stout. One can of the puree is not enough. That is what I started with and the cherry flaver was barely noticable. I added 4 oz of cherry extract when I kegged and it came out perfect.

The general rule i've used is 1lb fruit per 1gal beer. From there, you have to factor in 1) what type of beer it is, and 2) what type of fruit you're using.

If you've got a strong flavored beer, you'll need more fruit. If you're using a subtle fruit (cherries, blueberries, etc.) you'll need more fruit. If you've got a strong flavored beer AND a subtle fruit, you'll have to use more fruit than you think you should.

In my Chocolate Cherry RIS, I used 3 3lb cans of Oregon cherry puree. I did this because my OG was epic and now that it has been sitting for three months the flavor is changing nicely. Fermentation will start up again, but atleast with mine, will bubble slowly for about a week.

Back