dead guy clone- OG & FG way off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studmonk3y

Reaction score
I know this topic has been asked a bunch of times already, I just want to ask the experts what's the best option for my situation.

I brewed Yoopers Dead Guy clone on 1/10/09.
I followed her directions exactly and used bottle harvested Pacman yeast. It has been in the carboy for 25 days now, at 60F in my chest freezer w/ranco.
I did use about 10.2 lbs of LME, but the rest of the ingredients were the same.

I've calibrated my hydrometer in distilled water and temperature corrected my readings. My OG was 1.071 and SG I measured today was: 1.029.
Yoopers recipe calls for OG: 1.066 and FG: 1.018.
The hydrometer sample tastes noticeably sweet.

I will take another reading in a couple of days, but assuming it doesn't drop anymore what is my best option?

1) let it warm up and gently rouse the yeast and leave it for another week or so

2)bottle it as is and live with it

3)throw in another starters worth of Pacman yeast

4)throw in a packet of nottingham or us-05 I have sitting in my fridge

5)combination of these ideas?

I appreciate any help.

Sounds like you didn't get enough attenuation. I know Pacman Yeast is not available anymore. You had used it in a previous batch and saved it?

Lets wait and see what the pros, maybe even what Yooper has to say.

I know Pacman Yeast is not available anymore.

It's actually more available now than it used to be - my LHBS has several fresh smack packs of Pacman, and tells me that it's now a regular offering from Wyeast.

I would try option #1 first, rouse it up and bring the temp up close to 70 and see if you can get it going again.

edit - misstated option #

I'd try option #1- warming it a little and swirling, to see if you can get below 1.020 or so. Don't bottle it!

If after a week at say, 65 degrees, it's still 1.029, then I'd pitch some nottingham or s-05 and see if you could coax some more fermentation out of it.

Warmed the carboy up to the 65-68F range. It's slowly bubbling again. I'll report back in a week.

Ok so I added a packet of us-05 8 days ago, and have warmed the carboy up to the 68-70F range. Took a reading today and FG is at 1.024. I'm thinking of just swirling it some more and leaving it for another week, unless you guys suggest I just go ahead and bottle. It's been in the carboy for 42 days now, I don't want to leave it in there too much longer.
Any advice?

Sounds to me like it is what it is...
If you plan on storing your beer at the same temp it is fermenting at, I say bottle it! BTW that IPA is mighty tasty I've been told, enjoy! :rockin:

Back