What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this at my distributor and asked about it. He said it sells really fast and he actually likes it. Says it tastes like a mcgriddle from McDonalds! At 14.99 I'll pass but if it was $5, I think I would try it.

YES! We've must have reached the pinnacle of craft brewing if we can brew something that tastes like a McGriddle. We may as well stop home brewing because it doesn't get any better than that. McBrew is innevitable ;)

I was lucky enough to sample a beer from a local brewer, Second Shift, that was brewed with sourdough bread in the mash. I was immediately intrigued, but the taste was awful. Maybe it needed to age out a bit, but it was closer to cough syrup than any other beer I've ever tasted.

dapete said:
YES! We've must have reached the pinnacle of craft brewing if we can brew something that tastes like a McGriddle. We may as well stop home brewing because it doesn't get any better than that. McBrew is innevitable ;)

image-1133618877.jpg

You can get McBeer in Germany

I wish to retract my previous entry and submit a new "worst" for me: New Planet Pale Ale.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/new-planet-pale-ale/132836/

Reviews such as:
"I’m not 100% sure I know what gluten is, but after sampling a beers that don’t have any I have decided I want beer with a lot of gluten in ’em"
and:
"Harshly bitter with medicinal and latex rubber notes. There is something dominantly phenolic here in an awful way. Undrinkable for me."
and:
"The taste is sorghum, semi bitter, very dry, this is not good at all, there is an amber ale taste that tries to come out, but dirty dishwater flavors and a very unappealing aftertaste overpowers it. Drain pour, unfinishable"
and:
"The color is beautiful. Aaaaaaaaaaand that’s it for the compliments. This is just nasty, totally undrinkable. It’s worse than unflavored cough syrup."

etc etc. I believe it's the first beer I actually had to pour down the drain. I gave it to friends to try, first. They couldn't stand it either and also suggested I pour it out. Just ghastly.

I just bought a 6 pack tonight of Becks' Sapphire ( 6%). A waste of $9.00.........I think most of my money went toward the pretty black bottles.... Oh well, I can still use them to bottle mine.....

Add Boatswain DIPA to the list. I've had malt liquors that were better. Pure blaah and the damn brewery should be ashamed of that swill.

I know that I will probably get banned for saying this.... But...

I couldn't stand Heretic's Grave Crawler, either it was just a bad bottle or this was not brewed by Jamil. It was like kissing a heavy smoker. Not willing to spend more money to see if it was a bad bottle or not.

I'm proud to say that I have drank beer in McDonalds in Germany. And it was Bitburger. Good beer and awful burgers.

I did it in N. Italy back in the 90's. I can't recall what I drank but it was a terrible match up.

I was in Binny's the other day and saw that Rogue has expanded their "Voodoo Maple Donut" beer to include something that had chocolate and banana in it.

Anyone had that? They scarred me enough that I'm not willing to buy the new one.

I just bought a 6 pack tonight of Becks' Sapphire ( 6%). A waste of $9.00.........I think most of my money went toward the pretty black bottles.... Oh well, I can still use them to bottle mine.....

I tried it awhile back now, shortly after it came out. It was ok, but certainly not a "worst" that I've had. I'll take Sapphire over regular Beck's any day.

As a fat guy who likes McGriddles and started this thread, Voodoo Maple Donut does not taste like a McGriddle. At all. In the least.

The Saranac line from Matt Brewing.

I had the sampler 12-pack and everything had this cloying corn syrup sweetness under it. The IPA, the pale ale, the robust porter, and lager all suffered from the same effect. Tasted fake.

From what I've heard they're fairly large but their scores, for what it's worth, look pretty abysmal.

I think I listed it a long time ago here. But it got lost with all the slightly mediocre beer that everyone's been listing. It truly is the worst beer ever! Atleast you posted a picture of the contents to give everyone a visual of just how disgusting the contents of that nice blue bottle really are.

Sigh. Yeah. I started this for people to post truly bad beers, not just things they don't care for. For the most part, it's gone well, but let's reiterate...

Please list here beers you find with the following:
-- technical flaws - such as lots of diacetyl, cardboard flavor, acetaldehyde, etc.
-- atrocious flavor - back this up with why (don't be petty or snobby, even great breweries can put out a **** beer and vice versa)
-- ill advised experimentation - explain why it doesn't work for you

That's the type of feedback/warning we're (maybe just I?) are looking for here.

I was in Binny's the other day and saw that Rogue has expanded their "Voodoo Maple Donut" beer to include something that had chocolate and banana in it.

Anyone had that? They scarred me enough that I'm not willing to buy the new one.

i have had both and the banana chocolate one is not a bad beer. not one of my favorites but not hard to drink like the maple doughnut one.

In Canada - Waterloo Amber Ale. I dumped. Shamefully I bought a 12-pack for myself AND the guy who just gave me a Hammond M-3 Organ as a thank you gift. He must really regret giving me the organ.

In the US - Proletariat Ale - drank it in a Portland Oregon while meeting up with friends at a pub. I passed the glass around and one of them commented that it tasted like "Stalin's mustache" and he was bang on target.

In Canada - Waterloo Amber Ale. I dumped. Shamefully I bought a 12-pack for myself AND the guy who just gave me a Hammond M-3 Organ as a thank you gift. He must really regret giving me the organ.

In the US - Proletariat Ale - drank it in a Portland Oregon while meeting up with friends at a pub. I passed the glass around and one of them commented that it tasted like "Stalin's mustache" and he was bang on target.

M-3 Organ for free!!!! Lucky you!!!

Trade Winds by the Bruery was god awful. I love the Bruery and thought this would be something different. I thought, "hey its a Belgian brewed with Thai leaves and basil, It will be really interesting". Well it is definitely interesting and probably pretty spot on as to what they were going for in taste. That being said I do not think anyone could force themselves through more than half of a glass.

Trade Winds by the Bruery was god awful. I love the Bruery and thought this would be something different. I thought, "hey its a Belgian brewed with Thai leaves and basil, It will be really interesting". Well it is definitely interesting and probably pretty spot on as to what they were going for in taste. That being said I do not think anyone could force themselves through more than half of a glass.

That is one of my favorite beers. Easily my favorite Tripel.

wish I could remember the name of that IPA because I sure do not ever want that experience again . Absolutely horrible . i took one drink and dumped the 22 ounce down the sink.

I tried the Porter from Eel River this weekend. I have to say I wasn't impressed. It tasted like cough syrup.

Bard's Gluten Free Sorghum Beer...couldn't stand it. I imagine gluten-free is a godsend to some people, but I can't do it.

My bottle shop had leinenkugel summer shandy for 2.99 a 6pk. I understand now why it was so cheap. Maybe it's just me but I could not drink this beer. I ended up drinking one and giving the rest way.

Climax Brewing Company, their IPA was horrible, I tried my best to drink it since I did pay for it, but I just couldn't and poured it down the drain. I bought it in a package store in south New Jersey. They are in Roselle Park NJ. It's the only brew of theirs that I saw, but after that I would be reluctant to try any of their other styles. It came in a 64 fl oz. growler which I kept to get something out of the deal.

PS: The worst ever, and always will be is Coors Light!

Full Tilt Imperial Pumpkin Ale......had it at a Maryland Microbrew festival...... Actually had to spit it out...

I was pretty excited to try Sun King's cream ale, because we normally don't get their beers in colorado, but they're apparently here during gabf week. But jeez, this beer has a smell that I can't describe. B.O. just doesn't quite work, but it's quite stinky (not sulfury) and unpleasant. Unfortunately (for me), it tastes just how it smells. I think it must have some funky hops giving it the aroma/flavor. I don't know what I'm going to do with the other three cans, but I'm sure as hell not drinking them. I barely made it through half of one tonight. I read some reviews of it on beer advocate, and several people described the smell/taste as metallic. I guess that's sort of what the beer is like. Unfortunately, there's really nothing else there to focus on.

Back