NHC 2015 San Diego- roll call!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every year the night before NHC starts I organize a group of people on a bus trip. Usually we hit a few breweries and craft beer bars in the area. I try to hit the lesser known or out of the way places to make the trip unique.

Perhaps you locals that aren't hitting the conference can attend the tour or help me organize it with suggestions for transportation and destinations.

I plan to be finalizing the tour info & schedule by May.

I may be up for that!

Every year the night before NHC starts I organize a group of people on a bus trip. Usually we hit a few breweries and craft beer bars in the area. I try to hit the lesser known or out of the way places to make the trip unique.

Perhaps you locals that aren't hitting the conference can attend the tour or help me organize it with suggestions for transportation and destinations.

I plan to be finalizing the tour info & schedule by May.

Soper Tour!!!!

Will be in SD all that week visiting friends, our hotel is in Solona Beach, I have been given a day to do White Labs/Stone/Pizza Port whoever else might be close...

Where in solana beach are you staying? Right across the street from pizza port there's a cool brewery called culture. And there's a lot of breweries close to stone haha

To help in your fish taco search:
http://sdfish.com/forums/t/best-fish-tacos-in-san-diego.148027/

I also will not be at the conference, but speaking of fish, if any of you visitor-types to our fair city wants to go out on the bay--or better yet, out to the kelp forest--with me on my little old 15' skiff for some fishing action, send me a PM. Mid-June is when the rockfish are still biting, the calico bass are picking up, the halibut might still be running, and it's not yet too hot and sunny out.

(I love showing people why I moved here!)

If we stay in the bay, I've got room for myself and perhaps two more adults...so long as they are less fat-ass than I. For a trip to the kelp I could fit myself plus one adult.

I will supply all the gear, PFD's etc. You'd just need yourself a license and whatever foods and snacks you like. No landlubbers or chummers, please :D

I would LOVE to go fishing with you and @yooper!! I'm planning on getting in on Wednesday but I can definitely adjust my schedule to fish. Let's get this figured out for sure :mug::mug:

I would LOVE to go fishing with you and @yooper!! I'm planning on getting in on Wednesday but I can definitely adjust my schedule to fish. Let's get this figured out for sure :mug::mug:

Yooper liked your post, so I guess it's the three of us.

I'm thinking it's best to stay in the Bay with that many aboard my craft. There will be Spotted Bay Bass, and always the chance for a California Halibut (or many another large lurker, like a Leopard Shark or a Guitarfish) on light tackle. And of course a nice view of the downtown waterfront. And homebrew, naturally.

Now as far as choosing the date...

Ideally you want to get out there as early as you can (I usually try to hit the water before sunrise); but about the only time you DON'T want to bother fishing is slack low tide. On Mon 6/8 that's at about 9am, on Tues 6/9 that's about 10am and on Wed 6/10 that's about 11am. After these times on those dates is a big incoming tidal swing, which is what you DO want.

And you want to plan to get off the bay by around noon to 1pm, because the wind can kick up something fierce in the early afternoon.

So between those two "bookends" you can see that the earlier in the week, the bigger the window of opportunity for good fishing conditions. SO if I had my choice, we'd go Mon 6/8, launching around 8:30-9am (which should mostly miss morning rush hour) and heading in around noon-ish (or whenever the wind kicks up).

So, sudbuddy, does that work for you?

And let me know what hotels y'all are staying at, so I can figure if it's better for me to pick you up on my way to a launch, or to just meet at the launch. (You are renting cars, right?)

Yooper liked your post, so I guess it's the three of us.

I'm thinking it's best to stay in the Bay with that many aboard my craft. There will be Spotted Bay Bass, and always the chance for a California Halibut (or many another large lurker, like a Leopard Shark or a Guitarfish) on light tackle. And of course a nice view of the downtown waterfront. And homebrew, naturally.

Now as far as choosing the date...

Ideally you want to get out there as early as you can (I usually try to hit the water before sunrise); but about the only time you DON'T want to bother fishing is slack low tide. On Mon 6/8 that's at about 9am, on Tues 6/9 that's about 10am and on Wed 6/10 that's about 11am. After these times on those dates is a big incoming tidal swing, which is what you DO want.

And you want to plan to get off the bay by around noon to 1pm, because the wind can kick up something fierce in the early afternoon.

So between those two "bookends" you can see that the earlier in the week, the bigger the window of opportunity for good fishing conditions. SO if I had my choice, we'd go Mon 6/8, launching around 8:30-9am (which should mostly miss morning rush hour) and heading in around noon-ish (or whenever the wind kicks up).

So, sudbuddy, does that work for you?

And let me know what hotels y'all are staying at, so I can figure if it's better for me to pick you up on my way to a launch, or to just meet at the launch. (You are renting cars, right?)

I'm not renting a car, but I'm sure I can get an Uber to anywhere I need to be. I might be able to do Monday but I'll have to figure out a hotel. The big variable for me is that I might be fly-fishing the Smith River in Montana then, but I'm still waiting to hear back from the Park Service about whether I got my permit or not. Hopefully I will know soon. Don't let me hold you back though, I would love to fish with you but I don't want other people to have to try to plan around my schedule.

Where in solana beach are you staying? Right across the street from pizza port there's a cool brewery called culture. And there's a lot of breweries close to stone haha

Thanks! By Fletcher Cove Beach, it looks like Pizza Port is pretty close so I'll have to check out Culture too.

Thanks! By Fletcher Cove Beach, it looks like Pizza Port is pretty close so I'll have to check out Culture too.

You must be staying in a house somewhere cuz I cant think of any hotel right there at Fletcher. Ya, Pizza Port usually has a few guest San Diego breweries on tap as well. And being in Solana beach, youre only like 15 miles in any direction from all of the breweries in San Diego

I wont be attending HBC 2015, but Im more than happy to grab a few pints with some fellow HBT'ers or have a brew session. I can set up a pretty sweet list of breweries to check out

So you can't be at HBC, will you join us at NHC?

No fishing for me. Coming in Wednesday and leaving Sunday to LA to see my family. But I'm down for the party bus and whatever else! I am not going to the banquet dinner.

I might get in on a party bus. Coming in mid-day Tuesday hopefully.

Also trying to figure out a way to visit Escondido.

So you can't be at HBC, will you join us at NHC?

No fishing for me. Coming in Wednesday and leaving Sunday to LA to see my family. But I'm down for the party bus and whatever else! I am not going to the banquet dinner.

Har Har. In my head I must have been thinking, ya its a HB conference. Must be called HBC haha whoops. :confused::cross:

I wont be at NHC. Better? :D

I'm not renting a car, but I'm sure I can get an Uber to anywhere I need to be. I might be able to do Monday but I'll have to figure out a hotel. The big variable for me is that I might be fly-fishing the Smith River in Montana then, but I'm still waiting to hear back from the Park Service about whether I got my permit or not. Hopefully I will know soon. Don't let me hold you back though, I would love to fish with you but I don't want other people to have to try to plan around my schedule.

OK, so we'll leave it like this:

One seat open for cruisin' / fishing the San Diego Bay about 9am to about noon on Mon June 8 with me and Da' Yooper. First person commits to it gets it!

EDIT: Need not be an out-of-towner, locals welcome!

One seat open for cruisin' / fishing the San Diego Bay about 9am to about noon on Mon June 8 with me and Da' Yooper. First person commits to it gets it!

Awesome!

I'd be up for motel/hotel ideas for Sun/Mon/Tuesday as well. I'll be moving over to the Town and Country Resort on Wednesday, before the SoperTour 2015.

If you can give suggestions on a good location with lots to see and do by walking/cabbing, I'd appreciate it. At this point, I'm not planning on having a car at all.

Awesome!

I'd be up for motel/hotel ideas for Sun/Mon/Tuesday as well. I'll be moving over to the Town and Country Resort on Wednesday, before the SoperTour 2015.

If you can give suggestions on a good location with lots to see and do by walking/cabbing, I'd appreciate it. At this point, I'm not planning on having a car at all.

Well, the location where NHC is located is in an area called hotel circle. And theres a boat load of hotels there. Problem is, theyre not really walking distance to any breweries. The majority of the breweries in SD are in "North County". Vista, and San Marcos area. I believe theres like 3 or 4 in the immediate area around where NHC will be, and quite a few in the North Park area (which is just a bit south of NHC).

But, I think staying somewhere closer to downtown might let you get more in touch with your inner tourist if thats what you're looking to do. You have all of the downtown stuff, Balboa park, Pt Loma/Cabrillo National Monument, and Old Town just to name a few things. All of them are awesome.

Awesome!

Places with lots to see by walking around:

Balboa Park: the Zoo, gardens, museums. Not really any hotels in that area that I know of, unless you stay downtown ($$$).

Old Town / Presidio: sort of a preserved Old West part of town, but also with touristy bars and restaurants. Right next to the airport. Also has a trolley stop. There are a few hotels around there that are not too crazy expensive, for example this Best Western:
http://www.haciendahotel-oldtown.com/

Downtown Waterfront / Embarcadero / Convention Center / Ballpark: Old ships and maritime museums, the Midway battleship, also with touristy bars and restaurants. But not far from Little Italy / India Street / Columbia Street, with good bars and restaurants. Lots of trolley stops. Hotels in that area are generally $$$$

Coronado Island: IMO best beaches in San Diego, some decent (if pricey) restaurants; can take the ferry from Embarcadero across the bay to here. There are hotels in Coronado but I am sure they are $$$

La Jolla: City just to the north of San Diego. Nice beaches, some decent restaurants, great ocean views. The kind of place you walk around and say to yourself, "once I win the Lotto." Most hotels are $$$$ but I may know a few secret cheap ones.

Then there are some less touristy, more "known to the locals" type areas in the city...

Ocean Beach: the land that time forgot, an old-school 60's / 70's California beach town right in the city. Has a nice pier, a decent beach, usually good surfing, and Sunset Cliffs are cool for hiking, tidepooling, etc. Hodad's and a Pizza Port are here. Don't know what the hotels here are like, mostly they are hostels.

North Park: was a dump 5 years ago, now undergoing a kinda hipster-revival, good pubs. Just to the North side of Balboa Park. Probably some hotel deals around there (Motel 6 kinda stuff)

Hillcrest: just west of North Park, just North of downtown; best restaurants in the city IMO.

Then there are areas that all the tourists know about, but to me are worthless, like:

Mission Bay: an artificial bay with poor tidal flow, nasty stinky water, fake beaches, expensive hotels, drunk college kids from Pacific Beach and Sea World. No thanks.

Gaslamp District: Downtown; bars, nightclubs, live music and restaurants...but IMO too touristy and overpriced--not nearly as cool as it used to be.

BTW, the Town and Country is on Hotel Circle, which is a big loop of hotels where the I-8 and I-5 intersect. It is kinda close to the Presidio and to Hillcrest, but other than malls there's really nothing to see at Hotel Circle. BUT, it is pretty well centrally located to all these other areas and attractions, and you can pick up the trolley on Hotel Circle. And there's a range of price and quality from the T&C (which is near the top), to Holiday Inn, to Mom and Pop places, to the Motel 6-type places (and worse). So Hotel Circle is kind of the "default" place to look for lodging.

Hope that helps. Let me know what sights you're thinking of seeing and maybe I can give more specific help on your hotel choices.

(EDIT: I see kev211 ninja'd me; I concur with him)

Places with lots to see by walking around:

Balboa Park: the Zoo, gardens, museums. Not really any hotels in that area that I know of, unless you stay downtown ($$$).

Old Town / Presidio: sort of a preserved Old West part of town, but also with touristy bars and restaurants. Right next to the airport. Also has a trolley stop. There are a few hotels around there that are not too crazy expensive, for example this Best Western:
http://www.haciendahotel-oldtown.com/

Downtown Waterfront / Embarcadero / Convention Center / Ballpark: Old ships and maritime museums, the Midway battleship, also with touristy bars and restaurants. But not far from Little Italy / India Street / Columbia Street, with good bars and restaurants. Lots of trolley stops. Hotels in that area are generally $$$$

Coronado Island: IMO best beaches in San Diego, some decent (if pricey) restaurants; can take the ferry from Embarcadero across the bay to here. There are hotels in Coronado but I am sure they are $$$

La Jolla: City just to the north of San Diego. Nice beaches, some decent restaurants, great ocean views. The kind of place you walk around and say to yourself, "once I win the Lotto." Most hotels are $$$$ but I may know a few secret cheap ones.

Then there are some less touristy, more "known to the locals" type areas in the city...

Ocean Beach: the land that time forgot, an old-school 60's / 70's California beach town right in the city. Has a nice pier, a decent beach, usually good surfing, and Sunset Cliffs are cool for hiking, tidepooling, etc. Hodad's and a Pizza Port are here. Don't know what the hotels here are like, mostly they are hostels.

North Park: was a dump 5 years ago, now undergoing a kinda hipster-revival, good pubs. Just to the North side of Balboa Park. Probably some hotel deals around there (Motel 6 kinda stuff)

Hillcrest: just west of North Park, just North of downtown; best restaurants in the city IMO.

Then there are areas that all the tourists know about, but to me are worthless, like:

Mission Bay: an artificial bay with poor tidal flow, nasty stinky water, fake beaches, expensive hotels, drunk college kids from Pacific Beach and Sea World. No thanks.

Gaslamp District: Downtown; bars, nightclubs, live music and restaurants...but IMO too touristy and overpriced--not nearly as cool as it used to be.

BTW, the Town and Country is on Hotel Circle, which is a big loop of hotels where the I-8 and I-5 intersect. It is kinda close to the Presidio and to Hillcrest, but other than malls there's really nothing to see at Hotel Circle. BUT, it is pretty well centrally located to all these other areas and attractions, and you can pick up the trolley on Hotel Circle. And there's a range of price and quality from the T&C (which is near the top), to Holiday Inn, to Mom and Pop places, to the Motel 6-type places (and worse). So Hotel Circle is kind of the "default" place to look for lodging.

Hope that helps. Let me know what sights you're thinking of seeing and maybe I can give more specific help on your hotel choices.

(EDIT: I see kev211 ninja'd me; I concur with him)

Ya, but damn! You put a lot more detail in yours! Wanna start a tourist guide to SD business? Haha

Thank you so much for the info! Now that I'm learning more about the area, I'm hoping to come in to SD even earlier to get the chance to play tourist for a bit longer.

I can't wait!

Thanks for that rundown! Coming in Monday, and we have been trying to figure out what parts of town to try and get to. This helps! Looking forward to a few beers on the beach!

Thanks for that rundown! Coming in Monday, and we have been trying to figure out what parts of town to try and get to. This helps! Looking forward to a few beers on the beach!

Ya, unfortunately alcohol is illegal on the beach haha. But you can be near the beach! The pacific beach boardwalk (while full of frat bros from sdsu) is your best bet for bars right on the sand.

Nice rundown agrazela! There is lots of touristy crap to do in SD.

I will be there for my first NHC. Fortunately I live just over an hour North, so I don't need to overpay for the hotels! :tank:

I bought my airline tickets, so I"m locked in on dates!

I'll be arriving Saturday, June 6, in the evening and leaving late morning on Tuesday, June 16. I'd love to meet up with fellow HBT'ers, and have a beer or three with more of my 'imaginary friends'!

I'll be arriving Saturday, June 6, in the evening and leaving late morning on Tuesday, June 16. I'd love to meet up with fellow HBT'ers, and have a beer or three with more of my 'imaginary friends'!

Count me in!

As Yooper is now staying through the middle of the week following the conference, our fishing plan has changed to:

Mon 6/15, from around 6 or 7am-ish to around 11am to noon-ish, launching out of Shelter Island. Still an open seat if there is an extended-staying conference-goer--or a local with a day off--who wants an opportunity to catch a California halibut with us!

BEHOLD...

Dec2013Halibut.jpg

Halibut 4-17-05.jpg

Joe Halibut.jpg

Maggie_Halibut_2.jpg

I will most certainly be there! This will be my very first NHC. I know very few people in the homebrew community even though I'm a member of Quaff. Hopefully I have the opportunity to run into some of you there. I'd be more than happy to share a beer & a conversation. I'm a San Diego local, so I'd also be more than happy to share any tips or recommendations for those out-of-towners. Good luck in Round 1 everyone!

I live in SD and I'm going to the conference so I'm down for beers. I can point the way to places to go. As mentioned earlier there are not many breweries close to the conference.

6/8 is my B-Day, but I'm working Monday & Tuesday that week. We will have to meet sometime during the conference, but I'm down for lunch and a beer with any of the HBTers! :mug:

My Smith River trip looks like it might fall through so there is a good chance I will make it out in time. Where is the best place to stay for those extra few days if I'm not renting a car?

As Yooper is now staying through the middle of the week following the conference, our fishing plan has changed to:

Mon 6/15, from around 6 or 7am-ish to around 11am to noon-ish, launching out of Shelter Island. Still an open seat if there is an extended-staying conference-goer--or a local with a day off--who wants an opportunity to catch a California halibut with us!

BEHOLD...

ok nevermind, I can stay late, I want to catch some hogs like those!

I am planning on going this year as well. I will be getting home from a 10 month deployment just in time for it! The only sad thing is that I won't have any of my homebrew to bring with me. You guys are going to love San Diego in June!

I am planning on going this year as well. I will be getting home from a 10 month deployment just in time for it! The only sad thing is that I won't have any of my homebrew to bring with me. You guys are going to love San Diego in June!

That's ok, thank you so much for your service. If I run into you, I'll buy you a beer! I'll be the drunk guy in the brewery work shirt. Wait, that's everyone… oh boy

Let me know if you decide to stay a few extra days, and where you plan to stay.

I'm starting to plan on it. Do you have any recommendations on places to stay? What's near the boat launch and preferably also near a brewery?

I'm starting to plan on it. Do you have any recommendations on places to stay? What's near the boat launch and preferably also near a brewery?

If you guys are boating Mission Bay (I think thats where youre going if memory serves). Theres a Hilton right off the freeway that is one exit North from Stone Liberty station and about 1/2 mile from the Coronado Brewing tasting room

Not mission bay we'd be launching from, but shelter island on san diego bay. They are pretty close to each other though.

I will most certainly be there! This will be my very first NHC. I know very few people in the homebrew community even though I'm a member of Quaff. Hopefully I have the opportunity to run into some of you there. I'd be more than happy to share a beer & a conversation. I'm a San Diego local, so I'd also be more than happy to share any tips or recommendations for those out-of-towners. Good luck in Round 1 everyone!

I live in SD and I'm going to the conference so I'm down for beers. I can point the way to places to go. As mentioned earlier there are not many breweries close to the conference.

Can't wait! For the first four days, I'm staying near 30th St, in a little cottage I found on AirBnB. It's walking distance, but I probably will rent a car for that time since I want to go to La Jolla for one day.

One of the preconference events is a 'walk and sample' thing where for $20 you get four drink samples, and 15 food samples, for restaurants and pubs on/around 30th St. It's on Tuesday, before the conference. I was thinking about doing that, but I may just do it on my own, and walk over there and I'd love to meet up with people who are around.

During the conference I"m staying at the Town and Country, and then moving over to a place near Little Italy for the last 3 days. That way, I can turn in the car since I won't need it for the conference or the last few days, and still not pay a fortune for a cab to the airport on the day I leave.

Not mission bay we'd be launching from, but shelter island on san diego bay. They are pretty close to each other though.

Oh ya that's right. I don't know why anyone would want to fish in mission bay anyways. Especially not eat the fish. They probably have 3 eyes and 2 tails hahaha.

awesome, thanks

Shelter island also has a ton of reasonably price hotels. And is still not too far from stone liberty station (actually closer) and puts you pretty close to ballast point in little Italy. Oh, and not beer related but point loma seafood is down the street from shelter island. IMO, best seafood in sd

Thank you for your service! What branch? I would love to buy you a beer when we all group up for a HBT drunken meet and greet

Back