Want to brew a belgium beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce40

Reaction score
So I'm still an amateur when it comes to brewing but I think I have a good amount of knowledge so far. I've made barley wines and Russian imperial stouts that have came out great but never made an high alcohol Belgium beer. I don't have the best temp control so I want to know what's the best yeast and Belgium style I can be that is temp forgiving.

I'm using a swamp cooler by the way and while I'm away at work I get some big temp swings. I've been using us-05 for most of my beers for this reason. Also like quads cause of the raisin flavors they can have. Can I do it with my set up?

Everybody always says that Belgians like to be fermented hot.This is not really true.,You need a way to keep the temp down for a few days and then you can let the temp get hot.

A simple swamp cooler will work. Just keep thhe temp in the high 60's to low 70's for a few days, then you can let it get warm and finish up.

Here is what I find works. Pitch the yeast at 64-65 degrees. Hold it in the 60's for a couple of days and then let it go. If it is. a high OG beer, it will want to get hot fast, so of you don't control it for the first few days it will get way too hot too fast, which will produce fusels.

I like 3787 as a good all around Belgian strain. the temp range is listed at 64-78.

Sweet thanks for all the replies. I feel confident that I can brew one of these bad boys now. Has anyone ever done a same Belgium with the raisin flavors that I was describing.

The first step is to learn that you say Belgian when describing something from Belgium. Belgium is a country. You don't say Germany Hefeweizen, do you? How about America IPA?

Thanks for the grammar lesson next time I'll title the thread "post useless information here." :ban:

Thanks for the grammar lesson next time I'll title the thread "post useless information here." :ban:

It's not useless, nor is it a simple grammar lesson. bknifefight is right - you don't say "Germany Hefeweizen", nor should you say "Belgium Dubbel".

Kudos to you for asking for help - a wise man takes all that is offered (and help that applies, like this does).

As for the beer... I agree that you should start it in the mid 60s, then ramp it up as fermentation continues. You may want to heat the beer towards the end to get the last few attenuation points. Mid to even upper 70s is not unheard of... but don't let it get that hot in the early stages of fermentation.

Most Belgian yeast strands (such as WP530, 510, 545) will give you raisin flavors.

I Am doing a BDSA that should end up with raisin flavor, recipe as follows:
11# Belgian pilsner
1.5# Belgian caramunich
8 oz turbinado sugar
8 oz corn sugar
2# Belgian dark soft candi sugar
1# d90 candi syrup
1oz German tradition 60 min
.5oz hersbrucker at 30 and 5 min
Wyeast 1762
Turbinado, corn sugar and candi syrup was added at 3 days.
It is sitting right now at 1.008. Can't wait to bottle and age.

Also think of a little special B-- I also did a second running off of a Dubbel in which I placed a pound of raisins in the kettle for 30 mins.

Thanks for the help guys. I don't have a problem with being corrected, but he could have said the same thing minus the extreme sarcasm. I ended up getting a recipe for the forum with lots so special b and picked up so wlp530. Look like its going to turn out amazing! Just made the starter and in a couple if days I'm going to brew this up.

deuce40 said:
Thanks for the help guys. I don't have a problem with being corrected, but he could have said the same thing minus the extreme sarcasm. I ended up getting a recipe for the forum with lots so special b and picked up so wlp530. Look like its going to turn out amazing! Just made the starter and in a couple if days I'm going to brew this up.

Good luck I'm sure it will turn out great. Are you going to keep this is secondary for a period of time?

Most Belgian yeast strands (such as WP530, 510, 545) will give you raisin flavors.

While the yeast can impart some dark fruit flavors, the use of specialty grains like Special B in particular and dark candi syrup will contribute a greater amount of the the dark fruit/raisin flavor the OP is looking for.

Sarcasm is one of my best talents, I don't take offense to being corrected "IF" the result has the facts and teaches a lesson. Be careful with Special B and Aromatic malts they can come foreword and dominate a beer, too much and you may end up with it tasting like pruno :D

I was planing on doing primary for about a month then another bulk aging it. The recipe that I'm using is the dubbel xl that has, a pound of special b and a quarter pound of carafa 1. Also has a pound if dark candied sugar.

Brewed it up yesterday and I got steady bubbling right now. I'm going to keep my swamp cooler water at round 60 degrees to hopefully maintain it at around 65. The recipe doesn't say to raise temps up after a few day but should I do it anyway. Will I get the same character out of this beer.

Back