New Keg System Cleaning and Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanantos

Reaction score
Hey all, I just got a 2 keg/tap system from kegconnection.com and have been doing a lot of reading here on now to clean/sanitize my new system. I would appreciate you guys taking a look at my procedure and telling me if I am on the right track.

#1. Gas line does not need to be cleaned. I do plan to drop the quick-connect ends (still attached to the line) in some Iodophore for a minute or so.

#2. Take the keg completely apart (I only have 1 right now) and clean with PBW then sanitize with Iodophore.

#3. Run both PBW and Iodophore solutions through the liquid lines and taps powered by some CO2.

I do intend to eventually get a hand powered beer line cleaner, but I am hoping this will work for the initial cleaning.

Thanks!

#3. Run both PBW and Iodophore solutions through the liquid lines and taps powered by some CO2.

I do intend to eventually get a hand powered beer line cleaner, but I am hoping this will work for the initial cleaning.

Thanks!

I use the method you use, but would like to come up with a method that recirculates similar to this setup, but with a little beefier better pump.

If anyone knows of other automatic recirculating setups, please post them.

I don't bother sanitizing my liquid lines... I don't see the need, frankly. I've never heard of a commercial outlet doing it, so I don't. I simply clean with BLC, followed with a clean water rinse.

I don't bother sanitizing my liquid lines... I don't see the need, frankly. I've never heard of a commercial outlet doing it, so I don't. I simply clean with BLC, followed with a clean water rinse.

Agreed. A cleaning is all they need.

ocluke -- if you want to recirculate, a cheaper way to attach a pump to a female ball lock is to use these two parts:
- 3/8" Stainless Flare to 3/8 barb adapter (or this if you prefer a 1/4" barb)
- Firestone liquid ball lock post

This makes the conversion with two parts instead of three, and it's less than half the price.

You'll want to use teflon tape to make this connection, as the seal is made by the threads. I'm attaching a picture of mine. (For a pump, I use my Mark's Keg Washer, since I already had one.)

IMG_0559.jpg

Back