Need help making an Imperial Black IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dareibreathe

Reaction score
i made the black ipa recipe from northern brewer a while ago and wanted to use that as a base recipe and turn it into an Imperial version. Here is the base recipe:
SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 0.25 lbs Dehusked Carafa III
- 0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
- 0.5 lbs Briess Caramel 80
FERMENTABLES
- 3.15 lbs Dark malt syrup (60 min)
- 6 lbs Dark malt syrup late addition (15 min)
- 1 lb Corn Sugar late addition (0 min)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 1 oz Summit (60 min)
- 1 oz Chinook (15 min)
- 1 oz Centennial (10 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (5 min)
- 1 oz Centennial (0 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (dry hop)
YEAST
- WYEAST 1272 AMERICAN ALE YEAST II

any help would be awesome. Thanks

Try using some chocolate wheat malt . A brewer I know at the beach makes a killer black ipa with swamp head brewery and they use chocolate wheat it comes out really good

Steeped at ~155F for 30 mins in 2.5 gallons water
0.5 lb British Black Patent
0.5 lb Carafa III
1 lb 60L Crystal
0.5 lb 90L Crystal
0.5 lb Roasted Barley

2 lbs Dark DME 60 min boil
1 lb Amber DME at flameout
8 lbs Canadian two row LME at flameout

1.5 oz 13.9% AA Nugget 60 min
1 oz 17.4% AA Milennium 60 min
1 oz 13.1% AA Magnum 30 min (estimated AA due to being home grown!)
1 oz 6.6% AA Cascade 20 min
0.5 oz 6.6% AA Cascade at flameout
1 oz 6.6% Cascade dry hop 10 days
Final batch size 5.67 gallons
OG (est) 1.084 FG (est) 1.021
ABV: 8.1%
Color: 42 deg Lovibond
IBU 100+

It is dark and chocolatey with mild coffee undertones that are quickly balanced with a nice hop bitterness. The head is thick light tan and retention is outstanding!
It is a nicely balanced beer, but next time I think I will up the flameout hops additions to get more hop aroma

That is my recipe and I brewed it last weekend with columbus instead of magnum and simcoe 2oz at 10 mins and centennial at flameout with cascade as the dry hop

I have not brewed a black ale but I did brew a dark old ale and I used some Special B and I really liked its unique flavor. More caramelly. It is traditionally used in dark belgians but it really was nice in my old ale. Just an idea. Good luck!

I would use gold/light malt extract and use a steeping grains similar to what you posted. If you use that much dark malt extract and steeping grains you are going to be drinking a very hoppy stout. Not that a hoppy stout is bad, rather tasty at times, but not a CDA/black IPA.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/extract-cascadian-dark-ale-critique-275917/

Mine came out to a similar profile as arrogant bastard, but I prefer mine and it is still rather dark in color. Just the small amount of steeping grains imparted a significant amount of roasted/dark flavors. I'd be wary of that much dark malt. If you check out the reviews on it and remove the "TeH OMGZ!!11!!, I madez da bestz beeyaz evaz!!!11!" reviews from northern brewer, you'll see a handful of people on there saying it just plain isn't a CDA/black ipa.

Back