Some do Some don't...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrillaRays

Mustard and Relish
Reaction score
I've read in books, discussion boards, and even kit instructions different takes on racking their beer to a second carboy. Some see a benefit and transfer after a prescribed timeframe, and others just go straight to bottling. What's your experience?

lots of debate on this site.

My way of doing things is not to secondary unless I am adding something later on - like fruit or spices or aging a really big beer over a long period of time.

so most of my beers - even big belgians - don't get a secondary.

I almost never go to 2ndary because it's too much work. I did go one time to test dry hopping from the bottom instead of in a bag and saw no difference in taste.

Wow - helluva question to ask here! I say this: if you are going to use a secondary, wait a minimum of two weeks before you move it.

I rack to secondary for a myriad of reasons. The most common reason is space. Additions of fruit, hops, oak..... All are also good reasons to use a 2nd.

Secondary was to avoid autolysis. With healthier yeast these days, autolysis is not an issue after only 1 month on top of the yeast cake.

I still use a secondary when I'm using a fining like gelatin, dry hopping, or other flavor contributors such as fruit or oak. I also will throw a brew in secondary after fermentation has slowed if I need the bigger carboy for a new batch.

Depends on whether or not the beer needs a secondary, really. Am I clarifying it further, am I using a second yeast strain, am I adding oak, am I racking off fruit, am I racking on fruit, is the beer naturally hazy, do I have a keg free or a carboy, am I dry hopping...there are far to many factors to consider, and there really is no definite answer that encompasses every scenario. As a general answer, you don't really have to use a secondary, but there are a number of benefits to using one, if you are able to.

If there is no need for Lagering then really there is no need for a secondary... assuming you're not going to leave it in the primary for more than 6 weeks and that's pushing it. IMO

I secondary now, didn't when I started...mainly for dry-hopping but its also easier to clean the primaries

I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Most everyone on this forum has already ventured their opinions on the subject many many many many many many many many many many times, and most of them have ended up in the above thread. If you really do want opinions, and even some facts and citations, and articles, podcasts and other things on this topic, hit that thread, then make up your own mind.

No.

I have a 7.5 gal conical, I drain the yeast off the bottom when ferment is done and let it sit another week or two.... or three. Once for a year.

I have 2 carboys full of hard cider from this year. One goes in a corny keg, the other one goes back into a conical with fruit and honey for one more time.

David

I stopped secondary primarily because I'm lazy. I haven't noticed a change in quality. The great thing about this hobby is you get to drink your experiments. Get a secondary fermenter and brew the same beer twice. Secondary one. Drink and compare.

I stopped racking to secondary after my 3rd batch, unless I'm desperate for an empty fermentor. I try to time things so that doesn't happen, though...

I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic.

Most everyone on this forum has already ventured their opinions on the subject many many many many many many many many many many times, and most of them have ended up in the above thread. If you really do want opinions, and even some facts and citations, and articles, podcasts and other things on this topic, hit that thread, then make up your own mind.

thank you! i was just going to suggest that thread to the OP. it's a great read and avoids the inevitable debate that THIS thread is sure to start. :mug:

What the hell is the point of a forum if you're going to encourage individual thought and analysis? :mug:

Back