First Attempt @ Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just wanted to run some stuff by some Cider masters. I am attempting my first Hard Cider and want to make sure that I did everything correctly. I have a 2.5 gallon batch going. It has been sealed in the fermenter for about 36 hours with no signs of fermentation. No airlock movement or gravity drop. Here is my very very basic recipe.

2.5 gallon of 100% pasteurized apple cider (no preservatives added)
1 cup of light brown sugar
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 packet of Nottingham yeast
1 tsp of yeast energizer.

Let me know what you think please! Is there a longer lag time with ciders? Thanks and any help is much appreciated :)

------------

Primary: Nut Brown Ale
Second Primary: Hard Cider
Bottled: amber ale, imperial stout, white ale, english bitter, Robust Xmas Porter

The time lag is more likely with the dried yeast. I usually make a yeast starter a day or two before brew day. I prefer liquid yeast, but they're quite a bit more expensive.
So I'll make a starter and go with larger batches -- Like the 10 gallons I've got fermenting away right now.

Yeah I typically experience a decent lag time with the dry yeast. I think I am just paranoid like I did not do some essential 'thing' that would stunt the yeast. Thanks for the reply! If this batch goes well I will def try larger quantities :)

Back