Mash H2O for a 10gal bach ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshymas

Reaction score
yesterday I did my first 10gal AG beer (Fosters clone) And I am not sure if I hade the right amount of water. I just made a estimat from the recipe and Promash [just put on the computer and trying to learn how to use it] The ony thing is wrong I have about 9Gal insted of 10. eazy fix. just wanted your thoughts.

well, i'd still use 1.33 gallons of water per pound of grain for mash water. and, say, maybe 12-13 gallons of mash water, all depending on how much you lose in your system and if you use a counterflow chiller, etc. that's according to Promash, so it could be a little less, or a little more depending on your settings.

I think DRB meant 1.33 quarts not gallons in the mash.

Adding water to meet your target is fine. I find I have to do it more in the winter, guess I lose more in the boil in cold weather.

I just started the tutorial on promash. That should help a lot (it never hurts to reed the instructions.) Will having a higher water to grain ratio changer the mash 1.3h2o to 1grain? Compared to 1 h2o to 1 grain. I may find the answer in the promash help file. Thanks

As DRB mentioned you probably lost water somewhere in your system that isn't accounted for in Promash. Another factor I have had to tweak in Promash is the grain absorption, but just slightly.

Also, evaporation rate could be an issue...did you hit your pre-boil target volume and SG?

wshymas said:
yesterday I did my first 10gal AG beer (Fosters clone) And I am not sure if I hade the right amount of water. I just made a estimat from the recipe and Promash [just put on the computer and trying to learn how to use it] The ony thing is wrong I have about 9Gal insted of 10. eazy fix. just wanted your thoughts.

Don't worry. It takes a couple of times to work out how much sparge water you are going to need. Generally, depending on what you want for mash consistency....I mash in with between 4 to 5 gal of water. I start about 10-11 gal of sparge water. When I get a little more 13 gal (90 min boil) I start to boil. This give about 5.25 gal per fermenter. I sometime collect extra run-off and watch by boil rate. When there is 30 min left If I'm starting to get below 11-11.5 galons I add some of the run-off. All this is a best geusstimate on volume so may be off a little but should give you an idea.

-Eric

I don’t know if I hit my pre boil or not I did not mark the keg with any gal marks (I had just cut the top out of a 15.5 Gal Keg the day before) The next batch I will have to keep track of the capacity. I am using two demi johns (15 Gal glass jar) for primary and secondary.
Man I love beer.

I marked one of my 15 gal kegs and you are right the rings are about 5gal each thanks for the tip.

Back