Transferring from carboy to bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac0805

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on the best cloth to use on the siphon to filter the wert from my secondary carboy to the bottling bucket? I've thought about maybe some cheesecloth or something similar. I didn't realize how much more sediment settled to the secondary fermenter after the primary! I moved the carboy to my sink last night to order for the sediment to settle again after being moved from the cool closet to the bottling area, and I want my beer to be as clear as possible.

Also any suggestions on what to add to the bottling bucket to improve clarity?

You can use the cheesecloth but I like using a stainless steel toilet braid. I just cut the ends off and pull the plastic tube inside out, then slip it over the end of my siphon. I wouldn't add finings to the bottling bucket. You'll kill that yeast that would be responsible for carbonating the beer...

I use 1-gallon paint strainer bags from Lowe's, wrapped in loose multiple layers around the intake end of the cane. Use some small zip ties to fasten them.:

Hopstopper_3.jpg

BierMuncher said:
I use 1-gallon paint strainer bags from Lowe's, wrapped in loose multiple layers around the intake end of the cane. Use some small zip ties to fasten them.:

View attachment 2774

Bier do you have any problem with the siphoning when you use the paint strainers? The only time I tried that, I used a hop bag and I could not get the siphon to start. I have an autosiphon now but haven't tried that.

Regards,
Al

GIusedtoBe said:
Bier do you have any problem with the siphoning when you use the paint strainers? The only time I tried that, I used a hop bag and I could not get the siphon to start. I have an autosiphon now but haven't tried that.

Regards,
Al
No problem for me. I always fill the siphon with water, plug both ends with my (clean) fingers and then drop the cane into the beer and the hose into the receiving vessel.

Back