Perfect small pot for starters? Link within...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighorn_brew

Reaction score
http://www.qvc.com/Gordon-Ramsay-Stainless-Steel-3-qt.-Covered-Vertical-Sauce-Pot-Kitchen-&-Food.product.K35240.html?sc=K35240-Targeted&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-10-_-K35240&catentryImage=http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/k/40/k35240.001?$uslarge$

What do you all think? This is pretty much what I've been looking for. The SS basket is perfect for mashing all grain starters.

Doesn't look too bad. Three quarts is plenty for making a starter. Price is good and it's stainless.
You mash out a starter?? You're hardcore!
I use DME for starters. Easy and fairly cheap.

45_70sharps said:
Doesn't look too bad. Three quarts is plenty for making a starter. Price is good and it's stainless.

I use third/fourth runnings from my spent grains for starter. Boil them down to 1.040 (refractometer helps tremendously with this) and I freeze them in qt Chinese soup containers. Free starter wort. DME just seems so damned expensive and sticky.

I'm a frugal kinda guy, when ever I have any DME or LME laying around I usually end up in a streak of inspiration making a stovetop partial mash batch of beer (usually a keggle masher/boiler/).
Plus, the novelty of mashing essentially a "mini batch" of beer hasn't gotten old, out here in the sticks we have to make our own entertainment.

I'm a frugal kinda guy, when ever I have any DME or LME laying around I usually end up in a streak of inspiration making a stovetop partial mash batch of beer (usually a keggle masher/boiler/).
Plus, the novelty of mashing essentially a "mini batch" of beer hasn't gotten old, out here in the sticks we have to make our own entertainment.

People think of where I am as being in the middle of nowhere.
You ARE in the middle of nowhere!!!! I don't like to go east of Whitehall myself.
To me, the world exists from the Pacific Ocean to the eastern base of the Rocky Mountains, and from the Canadian boarder to the 45th parallel.

I use third/fourth runnings from my spent grains for starter. Boil them down to 1.040 (refractometer helps tremendously with this) and I freeze them in qt Chinese soup containers. Free starter wort. DME just seems so damned expensive and sticky.

I do this too although I use the crappy Glad containers some sliced meat companies use. They don't seal in liquids but once you freeze them the wort is't going anywhere.

Back