Northern Illinois All Grain Seminar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Any brewers in Northern Illinois interested in an all-grain brewing session/seminar?

I had offered to do one with Cheesefood and rwdj and we’ve been PM’ing each other about it today. We’re looking at an AG session at my place, possible on Saturday, January 20th. I’m thinking sometime around 11am might make for a good start time.

I’ve been AG for 18 months now and, while I’m by no means an expert, I’ve done enough batches now (20+) that I feel comfortable with the process.

I’m in Plainfield, about 30 miles southwest of downtown Chicago, right around here. I’ll be brewing an American Brown Ale, trying to replicate Flossmoor Station’s Pullman Nut Brown Ale. In fact, I’ll probably have a couple of growlers of the real deal on hand!

If you’re interested, feel free to reply here or PM me.

I'm in. What ingredients can I contribute? I have hallertauer, saaz, perle, and cascade hops on hand and I can pick up anything else you need.

Interested, but have too many things going on to be able to confirm availability. Don't bother buying the beer. I'm sure the seminar participants will happily pay a one growler fee or so. I'd be more than happy to buy something interesting... :mug:

I'll let you know. When I get home I'll post the recipe I'm considering using and we can take a look.

I probably have most of the stuff I'm thinking I'll need. I want to keep the recipe relatively simple so we don't get bogged down or end up brewing after midnight!;) But I am thinking of possibly using a bit of molasses and oats. :D

I'm in - even had SWMBO put it on the calendar. I don't have much in stock - some washed Wyeast British Ale Yeast if that helps?!?!

I have my new beer gun, so I'll being some Apfelwein for sure this time.

Here's the recipe:

Rhoobarb's Silky Brown Ale
A ProMash Brewing Session Report
--------------------------------
Brewing Date: Saturday January 20, 2007
Head Brewer: Mark Pannell
Asst Brewer:
Recipe: Mark's Silky Brown Ale
BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
10-C American Ale, American Brown Ale
Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 48
Min Clr: 18 Max Clr: 35 Color in SRM, Lovibond
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.88
Anticipated OG: 1.058 Plato: 14.35
Anticipated SRM: 27.5
Anticipated IBU: 35.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Actual OG: 1.058 Plato: 14.27
Actual FG: 1.012 Plato: 3.07
Alc by Weight: 4.74 by Volume: 6.07 From Measured Gravities.
ADF: 78.5 RDF 65.4 Apparent & Real Degree of Fermentation.
Actual Mash System Efficiency: 75 %
Anticipated Points From Mash: 54.26
Actual Points From Mash: 53.91

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
71.6 8.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
10.5 1.25 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
5.3 0.63 lbs. Molasses Generic 1.036 80
4.2 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 6
4.2 0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
3.2 0.38 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475
1.1 0.13 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 500
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.00 15.6 60 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 7.00 13.9 30 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.00 4.0 30 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette Whole 4.00 1.6 10 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette Whole 4.00 0.0 0 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP008 East Coast/Alt Ale

Notes
-----
Roast flaked oats @ 300oF for 30 mins.

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Heat Type: Direct
Grain Lbs: 11.25
Water Qts: 13.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.25 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.16
Tun Thermal Mass: 0.00
Grain Temp: 80 F
Dough In Temp: 0 Time: 0
Saccharification Rest Temp: 156 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp: 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp: 170 Time: 45
Runnings Stopped At: 1.010 SG 2.56 Plato

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.15 - After Additional Infusions
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Actual Mash System Efficiency: 75

Fermentation Specifics
----------------------
Pitched From: Starter
Amount Pitched: 0 mL
Lag Time: 6.00 hours
Primary Fermenter: Glass
Primary Type: Closed
Days In Primary: 7
Primary Temperature: 67 degrees F
Secondary Fermenter: Glass
Secondary Type: Closed
Days In Secondary: 14
Secondary Temperature: 67 degrees F
Original Gravity: 1.058 SG 14.27 Plato
Finishing Gravity: 1.012 SG 3.07 Plato

Cheese, you feeling slighted by not being listed as an assistant brewer? I know I am :D

I've gotta see who else may sign on before I 'finalize' the roster!:D Toot, if anything changes and you find you can make it, PM me.

Bumping this one since there's been a few new Illinoisians posting lately. Anyone new up for the get-together? It's an excuse to get out and drink and more importantly, brew.

Biermann said:
I'd love to, but I live south of I-80-- too much of a drive for my busy schedule.

It's like 20 minutes N of 80 on 55.

...and a little bump for the Chicagoland area people

I just moved to Plainfield in November. I wouldn't mind seeing an all grain batch being made. Are there any brewclubs in town?

Man, that sounds great but I am unable to make it due to work. I hope you have another gathering on the same topic in the future.

cfdpipeman

Snakebone said:
I just moved to Plainfield in November. I wouldn't mind seeing an all grain batch being made. Are there any brewclubs in town?

There are two that we're kinda between in Plainfield that I'm aware of. We have BOSS and Urban Knaves of Grain. Both of them have basic websites. During our first get-together, we talked about looking into either joining are starting one.

Send Rhoobarb a PM about the event - should be fun

rdwj said:
...Send Rhoobarb a PM about the event - should be fun
I PM'ed Snakebone last night. Hope to see you there, Snakebone!:D

The two clubs rdwj mentions are two of the best in the Midwest, IMHO. Take a quick scan of last year's list of AHA National Homebrew Competition winners and see how many times these club's names come up with medals!

But Plainfield is right in the middle of the meeting places of three clubs that I know of. Any way you slice it, you're looking at at least a 30 min. drive for a club meeting. Those three clubs are Urban Knaves of Grain, B.O.S.S. and one I know little about, Headhunters Brewing Club in Sugar Grove. For all I know, HBC may no longer exist.

I finally got my Beer gun hooked up. I'm planning on bringing some Apfelwein and Barley Wine - that's all I have at the moment. Unfortunately, my Cherry Wit is gone. I would have liked to have some reviews on that one.

Cool! I'm curious to try an Apfelwein. As for me, I got no bottling done this week. That's waiting until Sunday morning.

But I do have some of my Irish Wake Stout, Imperial Stout and Yukon Red. I also will have a couple growlers of Flossmoor Station's Pullman Nut Brown Ale, a growler of Two Brother's Cane and Ebel, a 22 oz. bomber of their Hop Juice, a bomber of Left Hand's Hop Warrior IPA and some Great Lakes' Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. Oh, and brats and chips & salsa, too. I think we'll be set!:D :drunk:

Anyone who might want to attend on Saturday is welcome. PM me for directions!:mug:

rdwj said:
That's a little more than south of 80 then - lol.

yeah, although I was north of I-80 yesterday doing some pheasant hunting at a pheasant preserve.

It took me about an hour and 20 to get there. . . so about 2 hours sounds right give or take 5 minutes.

Yes, I think everyone had a good time! I hope it was somewhat informative. Glad Snakebone could swing by, too! Thanks to everyone who showed up.

Had a stuck sparge, so there was a bonus! :eek: I took a gravity reading and we were at 1.050. Was shooting for 1.058, so efficiency was off - ~67% instead of my usual 75%, most likely due to the stuck sparge. Still, it is bubbling away in the fermenter and looks and smells good. Going to finally get a chance to give it a taste tonight!

Hi Folks!
I wish I would have scanned this forum about a month ago. I moved to Plainfield last July. I've been homebrewing since November of 2001 and have been AG since January 2004. I would have loved to have met up with all of you at Rhoobarb's. Please keep me in mind for the next function and I will keep watching this board.

Cheers!

FermentEd said:
Hi Folks!
I wish I would have scanned this forum about a month ago. I moved to Plainfield last July. I've been homebrewing since November of 2001 and have been AG since January 2004. I would have loved to have met up with all of you at Rhoobarb's. Please keep me in mind for the next function and I will keep watching this board.

Cheers!

That was Friday night. Fortunately, we all get along pretty well so hopefully the get togethers will increase as it gets warmer.

FermentEd said:
Hi Folks!

Cheers!

We actually all met up again this weekend to build some manifolds. We are looking at getting together again to do a group brew. I'll make sure to let ya know about it.

Just to update, I bottled the Brown Ale yesterday. It smelled awesome, but I have yet to taste it or take a final gravity reading. It is in the fridge and I will do that tomorrow evening. Ended up with two cases and two 22 oz. bomber bottles.

I figure when we get together to do the group brew, that should be a good time to pop some open!
:mug: :ban:

Awesome! I can't wait to give it a try. If it turns out, that's one I'm going to want to have around on a regular basis.

Rhoobarb said:
Just to update, I bottled the Brown Ale yesterday. It smelled awesome, but I have yet to taste it or take a final gravity reading. It is in the fridge and I will do that tomorrow evening. Ended up wioth two cases and two 22 oz. bomber bottles.

I figure when we get together to do the group brew, that should be a good time to pop some open!
:mug: :ban:

the 10 day forecast shows that we might touch the 40's soon.

Yeah, I heard someone say it will hit 40 a week from this Saturday! That'll feel downright balmy, I might wear a sweatshirt and shorts that day! Might be a good time to brew this 777 ale. If the recipe ever get finalized!

On a side note, I was going to head to Madison, WI to a model train show and the Great Dane Brewpub this coming Saturday (2/17). But my 89-year-old grandfather in Texas is in very bad shape and may not survive the next week or two. So, I've cancelled the trip and am staying close to home.

But, all is not lost. To make up for the sting of missing trains and beer, the 'assistant brewer' and I are going to Three Floyds Brewpub on Saturday! We've both been wanting to go, but haven't been and it's not far from her house.

I hope to join you guys when the group brew takes place.

Off topic: For you Plainfield guys, I was at the Lazy Lizard last night and had a couple bottles of Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I think they have a case or two left.

Mmmmm, that Dreadnaught IPA and Robert the Bruce sound really good. Seems to me that I've had a Robert the Bruce before.

FermentEd said:
I hope to join you guys when the group brew takes place.

Off topic: For you Plainfield guys, I was at the Lazy Lizard last night and had a couple bottles of Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I think they have a case or two left.

I like the Lizard - not a bad place. I miss Bell's - I used to drink their offering at Front Street Cantina quite a bit. Front Street does a nice job with beer, they always seem to have something different.

We're working up a pretty decent group here! Will be really nice once summer rolls around.

Back