Brew Balls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't it be cheaper just to toss a hydrometer in the carboy and leave it?

I've had good success just leaving the fermentation alone for about 2 weeks, if I think about it I check the FG but I've never had a problem. Spend the $25 on quality yeast and drink a home brew.

Idk if I want different nationalities of balls floating in my beer. Some are held for charity,& some for fancy dress,but it's when they're held for pleasure are the balls that I like best! :D
Ok,had to say it. I guess they're ok for a general idea of what's going on. But I'd rather use my big Johnson...oops...long hydrometer to stick in it. Too bad you can't slice those balls & make rocky mountain oysters out of'em when your done with'em.:drunk:

But it is yeast,right? :D I just think they're small,& a bit generalized to be terribly accurate. Like some old sci-fi alien is living in my beer...:drunk:

One hangs lower, its normal. Sometimes tits are like that.HE to the HA. Here we go...

They would save time.

Just a quick glance compared to sanitizing the wine thief, opening the airlock, filling the wine thief, filling the test tube, measuring with the hydrometer, and then cleaning everything.

Disadvantage - you would not get to taste the sample.

Anyone have an idea if those guys went out of business? These seem like a very useful way to track fermentation without increased risk of introducing infections, not to mention saved time.

The Website says the balls are currently unavailable and they have not responded to my email inquiry in the last month...

I've had good success just leaving the fermentation alone for about 2 weeks, if I think about it I check the FG but I've never had a problem. Spend the $25 on quality yeast and drink a home brew.

I haven't checked the OG or FG of a brew in over a year. Seems like a waste of time.

Most of the time when I test with a hydrometer I have to either shake the sample to get out some of the CO2 or give the hydrometer a spin to shake off the bubbles.
If there is CO2 sticking to your balls this may cause a problem..;)

bosco

Since the one review i found here with someone raving about the balls was using them in cider, i figured the problem was residue from the kra:usen clinging to them. I was hoping someone was working on a solution for that.

Even so, i'd get a set to help with meads and ciders. They would be even more helpful given the unpredictability i've had fermenting mine...

Back