Need an extract version of this.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So I got this from another post and seeing as how I can't get my step dad to convert I need something along the lines of the macro brews, I know I'll need to do a mini mash for this, and since I've never done a mini mash I have a few questions. First I know you need to keep the temp fairly consistent, what temp range am I looking at for these grains?? Also I if what I read and understand is correct you need to use some type of 2 row barley or something to utalize the adjuncts, xorrect? If that's the case what doesy procedure look like? Do I throw everything into a big pot of a certain temp in a nylon bag for a certain time and sparge the grains once finished, them add dme and hops??? Read a few article out there on mini mashing and not crystal clear on the steps. Here the recipe, thx for any advice or help. Ps and it will be a 5 gal batch as well
All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)
Recipe Type: All Grain***
Yeast: Safale - 05***
Yeast Starter: Prior Slurry***
Batch Size (Gallons): 11.5***
Original Gravity: 1.040***
Final Gravity: 1.005***
IBU: 14.3***
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90***
Color: 2.9***
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days at 68 Degrees***
Additional Fermentation: Kegged and chilled for 10 days***

Cream Ale Recipe

This is a very simple, inexpensive cream ale recipe that will get every BMC drinker in the room enjoying homebrew. So named because of the three different crops that go into the grist (Barley, Corn and Rice).

I brewed up 10 gallons of this and after kegging, bottled up a case to take to a family event (Mothers Day). Even my 78-yr old FIL, who is strict Miller Lite drinker, ended up having two pints. The chics dug it and we ran out well before the end of the evening.

The grain bill is cheap and in this case, you can use Minute Rice instead of flaked rice. No step mashing required. Simply combine the ingredients and follow a simple single infusion mash at around 152 degrees. I also mashed this for 90 minutes to get a highly attenuated beer. FG was 1.005...leaving a very dry, crisp beer with no noticeable graininess.

While this doesn't adhere to the strict beer laws, and I don't consider this one of my "craft" efforts, it is without a doubt the beer that I get the most "you really made this beer?" comments.

So if you've got some hard core "If it ain't Budweiser it ain't beer…" drinking friends…give this a try.

This beer clears up quickest of any of my recipes.

Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 14.26 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 2.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Minute Rice (1.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

I'd imagine the easiest way would be to substitute dextrose (corn sugar) for the corn at 0.6 lbs per lb of corn and rice syrup solids for the rice in the same proportions. Use pale extract for the pale malt. That should get you close.

Any advice on the mini mash for this? Or will using the above suggested adjuncts eliminate my need for mini mash?

If you use the adjuncts I listed, you wont need a mini mash. Substitute .6 lbs dme per pound of pale malt or .75 lbs lme per pound of pale malt.

Don't feel obligated to a partial mash, an extract version can be as simple as:

Pale extract 70%
Rice Syrup 30%

For 5 gallons that's about 5.5# total extract. You could always sub some honey or sugar for the rice syrup.

If you were going to use a partial mash with the rice/corn you would need a lot of base malt to convert them.

Co thx I will do that, just so I got it right... Take .6 lb for every lb of flaked corn and pale malt, and 1:1 on rice syrup, right? So putting this into a calculator does it come out to about the same estimated og?

Back