Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone attempted bourbon with this to clone Founder's KBS?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

They said kbs is not breakfast stout aged in bourbon barrels a while back. Not sure I believe them. Regardless, I think the breakfast stout would be a. Awesome bourbon barrel aged beer.

i've tried turning this into KBS, with so-so results - all my fault, tho. i used 7 fl oz of bourbon which was too much. i would go with 4 next time. i took my beer off the oak chips after only 1 week, should have let it sit longer. either i'm too efficient with the extraction of dark roast flavors or i'm sensitive to them, but next time i try this i'll be pulling back on the RB, patent and coffee. not a lot, just a little: 0.6 instead of .75 lbs Roasted Barley, 6 or 7 oz instead of 9 oz American Black Patent, etc.

give it a try!

I brewed 5 gallons a week ago... I might take half and age with oak and bourbon.

Brewed this a few months ago. It tasted horrible at bottling. Cracked a couple over the weekend and they're amazing. They wake you up too!

I did only the end of boil coffee addition and I thought it was close to spot on after being kegged for a week... I really enjoyed this recipe.

Just brewed this for the 2nd time, the 1st was last winter. It's not exactly a summer brew, but I had a yeast cake from a previous cream ale that I didn't want to go to waste. I love breakfast!

PS - I pretty much followed the original recipe, with the exception of the coffee and chocolate additions. I skipped them during the boil. Instead I am going to dry nib 4 oz of cacao nibs in the secondary (or maybe I'll just add them to the primary after fermentation completes, and skip the secondary?) and then add 16 oz of thick cold brewed coffee when I keg it.

Perfect time to brew this. Some will go over the summer but most will condition until the winter and you will be happy you let it age a little.

I entered my version of this in the Siciliano's home brew competition and got the bronze medal in category 13F. I'm pumped about it. Thanks so much for sharing an awesome recipe.

i am thinking bout doing this one soon as well. from the recipes i've seen that says 2oz of ground coffee, some seem to just have put it in a muslin bag and steep others have cold pressed. for cold pressing i was wondering if it's better to buy a french press to do it or just let coffee grounds steep in cold water overnight? also, how does it matter how much water to be added to the 2oz of ground coffee when doing the cold steep/press?

Brewed the recipe as published this afternoon. Brew session went great without any issues. Unlike my normal brew sessions that end up with me having consumed quite a few beers during the session. I am having some pool chemistry issues and had to spend an hour after finishing brewing scrubbing away some calcium. I'm not sure if it was the sobriety or experience but everything went great today. Gravity came in a bit low at 1.080. 5 gallons of wort went into my brand new fermentation chamber. I cut and taped together r-Max insulation to a base and snugged and taped a 2.6 cu ft mini fridge to it. It is holding 64 degrees easily. I can't wait to try this in a few months.

I love stouts that are on nitro, but I don't have a nitro tap system.....yet, so I am just bottling everything right now and am looking to figure out a trick to re-create that smoothness with priming sugar. Anyone have any ideas or a decent ratio of priming sugar to 5 gal batches? I am thinking of only using 2.5 oz. of priming sugar instead of the normal 4-5 oz.

I love stouts that are on nitro, but I don't have a nitro tap system.....yet, so I am just bottling everything right now and am looking to figure out a trick to re-create that smoothness with priming sugar. Anyone have any ideas or a decent ratio of priming sugar to 5 gal batches? I am thinking of only using 2.5 oz. of priming sugar instead of the normal 4-5 oz.

I've heard that if you prime with DME, instead of sugar (corn or table), you get slightly closer to that nitro type of carbonation/head...

On 2 of my bottle conditioned stouts, I used light DME. It worked real good!!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

On 2 of my bottle conditioned stouts, I used light DME. It worked real good!!

I will also have to look into that. I actually purchased a nitro tank/regulator from Keg Connection.....still having problems getting it filled....but I expected to use it for my two stout taps.

Reading this makes me wonder if I ought to have just done this instead!

Around where I live, Airgas has started putting beer mix into 20# CO2 style cylinders. Couldn't believe it.
I have an aluminum 5# Nitrogen cylinder I bought at Aadrvaark? beverages in Orlando several years ago (seedy neighborhood) and I can't get it filled locally. SO I upped it to a 20# and swap them out through a friends business as needed.
Anybody interested in a used 5# Nitro alumin cylinder, regulator, and SS faucet that can do stout AND also can pour regular beers (by swapping the plastic nozzle?
TD

Really? Thats very interesting. I'll definitely read into that. Thanks!

Several priming calculators have DME as an option. Ive found I need to use a lil bit more than the calculators require. That is, too much credit is given to the residual carbonation and that makes the priming load too small. Im jus recommending to adjust the residual carbonation by half, if it calculates .8 vol, enter .4 volume. If what Im saying here doesnt make sense, than dont try to adjust the calculated amounts

And the keg kicked last night. SWMBO really likes this one. I think I got like 5 pints and she drank the rest. Can't wait to brew it again.

Nice. Wish my SWMBO liked beer. At least she supports my brewing.

Keep working on her. Mine didn't until I got her to try my homebrew enough times. It's nice when she goes goes to the kegerator and pours herself one... it means I'm that much closer to another brew day

So I just ordered everything to brew this recipe with.... except the yeast. I already have two packs of s04 I just keep for a back up in case something ever happens with my liquid yeast starter. Most other recipes call for Wlp001 or some other american clean yeast.

Do I gain anything from the s04? Mouthfeel maybe?

Was going to pick up liquid yeast for another recipe I got planned for same brew day as this one. Debating to just using WLP001, I dont have any experience with s04.

Edit also got some Nottingham laying around

Fwiw I've made it twice with S-04 and been very happy with it. Both times I did two packs since it's a higher gravity brew.

I'll be curious to hear what others say. Usually I do not like the S04. I have used it a few times but there is something I just don't care for.

HOWEVER. I did use it in this recipe as called for and am happy with it. Could be because there are so many other awesome flavors going on.

I also have another question about bulk conditioning aging in the carboy, which seems to be what ive seen suggested here.

Cant just bottle condition this after a month in carboy and let it sit for 6 months in bottles?

Would I get a different outcome with the two different methods?

In general, I think the consensus is that bulk conditioning is better that bottling conditioning to ensure the whole batch is conditioned the same. With that said, I'm sure you'd be fine with 1 month in the carboy and then aging in the bottles.

The s04 achieves a slightly higher attenuation than us05/wlp001 in my experiences. If you want more residual sugars, I'd go with the Notty. I also find Notty to be a bit more tolerant of less than ideal conditions.

As for the conditioning, it's up to you. I would leave it in a glass carboy without any head space if you have t available, but it won't hurt it to get bottled either.

I was thinking of using this recipe but adding rye to make a rye stout and since I like the chocolate and coffee additions figured this would be a good base recipe. What grain would I take out to use the rye in it's place??? And is the 2oz of coffee added at FO just grounds or actual brewed and cooled coffee? I use a homeade hop spider with 5 Gal bags if it's just grounds I'd imagine I could just throw them in the spider? Thanks for any help.

I was thinking of using this recipe but adding rye to make a rye stout and since I like the chocolate and coffee additions figured this would be a good base recipe. What grain would I take out to use the rye in it's place???

Since it's just regular malted rye (I assume - not roasted or crystal rye or anything), I'd just count it as a base malt and sub out an equal amount of the 2-row for however much rye you want to include, and leave the other specialty grains as are...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

How much are you adding in? I would probably do it as a base malt. If it's a ton don't forget to add some rice hulls as I hear it is a sticky grain in the sparge.

How much are you adding in? I would probably do it as a base malt. If it's a ton don't forget to add some rice hulls as I hear it is a sticky grain in the sparge.

Well I wasn't really sure where it would fit in the grain bill but seeing as it'll be part of the base grain I prob play around with some numbers in Beersmith. I'd like to taste the spiciness in the rye but don't want it to dominate, maybe do half or the base in rye. Not really sure yet.

Did a variation of this recipe this weekend. 3 gallon batch, amped up the gravity and I'm planning on aging it on whiskey soaked oak chips. Bubbling away with a healthy pitch of WLP-005.

So I made this recipe about 3 weeks ago, but left out chocolate chips and coffee in boil.

Instead I put 8oz of nibs in a pint of skyy vodka for 2 days, and poured in a bottle of premade local cold brewed coffee (checked ingredents its just coffee and water) I put nibs and vodka all into fermentor.

the next day fermentation kicked up again and its been bubbling away every since... its been almost a week. I was going to bottle after 2 weeks in secondary now I am worried fermentation wont be complete and nibs will have sat in there for to long and will extract tannins. Regret just not just straining vodka off.

Any thoughts on this?

Back