What do recipes mean when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrexelBrewer

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a milk stout, and I didnt add lactose sugar into the boil, so I am going to add it into the secondary fermenter, but I would like to calculate the % I add.

I read an article on milk stouts and found this:

As for the lactose — which is a fine, granulated sugar — Christoffel is hesitant to say exactly how much Lefthand adds to their brew, but recommends a range between 5% and 13%. “I find it is best to stay within 5–13% lactose. Thirteen percent is extreme and 5% is a nuance,” he says. “But I don’t want to stop anyone from experimenting ... you could still use 2% and it would create an interesting nuance.

So I i want to add, say... 8% to my batch, how do I calculate that in a 5 gallon batch?

Is it calculated in lbs per gallon?

It's the percentage of total grain bill. For an all-grain example, say you're using 9lbs of 2-row and 1lb of lactose. The lactose would make up 10% of the grain bill. 10lbs total, 1 of 10 is 10%.

That would be in percentage of the total grain bill. Typically, 8 ounces in 5 gallons will do it.

That would be in percentage of the total grain bill. Typically, 8 ounces in 5 gallons will do it.

It all depends on how sweet you want it. I like using a full pound in a five gallon batch, but that's my personal tastes.

awesome, thanks for that, one more question: Do I account for the grains that I steep? I usually do 1 lb flaked barley, and say 1 lb roasted barley. Do I just add them to the grain bill to?

Back