Coopers Milk Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder999

Reaction score
(New to Brewing-bear with me please)

I have done 4 brews (5 including this one)2 all malt extract Amber ales and 2 Coopers IPAs. My current batch I wanted to be a little different so I took a Coopers Irish Stout and added

3#dark LME
1/2# Dexstrose
1#Lactose
1/2#Maltodextrin
1/2#Deramera
1/2 oz Cascade Hops
2 packs Coopers dry yeast
OG 1066
SG 1024 after 3 days in Primary

I probably could have left the extra hops out but I had them and threw them in anyway.

Tastes pretty good right now, not really knowing to expect. Any ideas on how long before I should bottle? I have a secondary if needed for conditioning. Any suggestions as to what I could add or take out if I do this one again?

my suggestion is to definately secondary it. I would ferment it for at least another couple weeks in the secondary or until your airlock activity drops down to pretty much nothing. Then bottle. From my experience with stouts they tend to do better with substantially longer aging periods than IPA's or amber ales.

+1; you don't need to necessarily rack it over for a true secondary ferment, just leave it in the primary longer. I'm quite happy with my dry Irish stout- I let this one in the fermenter for a month- Great body and flavor (and carbonation, but I keg). Let us know how it turns out!

Back